Calculation log for min and max armored steel umbilical

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafaelfclima

Industrial
Nov 27, 2012
US
Hi Guys,

Would you know how to calculate the min and max bend radius in a static and dynamic application of a umbilical which OD is 34.88 mm? Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Topic has been discussed before, you should have tried the search utility.

See thread: thread311-213681 (amongst others) - but I think this is the most likely hit.

In my opinion, your question is poorly thought out - many people here will answer "yes", which doesn't help much, does it? My answer would be "no and yes" - I could figure out the min. bend radius (given a LOT more info.), but don't have a clue how to find the max. bend radius, and would likely answer "infinity". But my numbers would likely not meet the applicable spec's. for your umbilical...which is undefined...is it the umbilical for a sub-sea ROV? Offshore well pipe connection? Onshore? Electrical umbilical for in-plant use at a manufacturing facility - and if so, in what country and to what code? Umbilical cord for an unborn fetus - and if so what species? What exactly are you talking about?

I have checked the mentioned thread before I created this one, but seems that the people here does not like to provide an answer for the questions. There are always more questions to be made. I am sure that there is a general rule for this.

"seems that the people here does not like to provide an answer for the questions."

I answered your question. What did you not like about my answer?

In all seriousness, if you don't know how to do this calculation, do you really expect to get answers on a web site? The question you are asking is one that I'd expect to pay a lot of money to an experienced engineer to answer, and his answer would involve a thick report filled with mathematics.

Btrueblood is right….
If I understand your problem, you will have to first calculate out the max principle stress and then figure out either Soderberg line or Goodman line. A few iterations of this will get the radius you need. This can turn into a science project fast. I see you’re new here. In the future, when you post, you should add, loads, material, application, engineering theories, equations…etc.

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."
“Luck is where preparation meets opportunity”
"People get promoted when they provide value and when they build great relationships"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back