Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculation method of progessive stage/rate leaf springs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitra1987

Automotive
Apr 7, 2011
IN
Hi

This is Abhijeet Mitra. I am a designer of suspension systems in India.

Can somebody help me find the calculation method to find out stage stiffness of progressive/rate leaf spring ( Considering the length and camber of leaves in the spring system )

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As stated in SAE J 788 1982 page 53 2nd column regarding the load deflection diagram "It has been drawn without considering such details as the change in moment arm length when the spring is deflected from positive camber to flat to negative camber". Add to this friction in eyelets, friction between leaves, etc., You also have to put tolerances for the rate value it should be at least +/- 15% due to the complexity of multi leaf spring compared to single leaf horizontal beam spring.

If you really want to get the rates right then there is no substitute for a crude beam element model. This will account for the influence of shackle angle, and the camber effect.

I'd use matlab, but here's an examplf ro a single leaf I did in Smath

You will also be able to model the effect of the second stage more accurately, although that gets very tricky.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back