Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculation of force for shearing with rotating blades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ok, I see noone is answering.

Let's say we got a 4 mm thick sheet and we want to cut out a diameter of 800mm. The rolling knife has a diameter of 110 mm.

I only need the formulae for the forces acting on the knife...please.

Thank you,

Looks more like a shearing action to me - like tin snips or a guillotine. The tricky bit will be determining the area of the cross section being sheared. This will depend on the depth setting of the knife.

eg if the section being sheared is 20mm long, the area will be 20 x 4 = 80 sq mm. Force will be area times average shear stress across the section (somewhere between 50% and 100% of ultimate shear stress for the material).

USS = about 0.75 x UTS for steels. So a 400 MPa steel would have USS of 300 MPa and the force in the example would be
300 x 80 = 24,000 N per wheel. This is the normal force - the vertical (press force) and horizontal (spindle torque) force components will depend on the angle of the Normal force vector (a line through the shering section and the axis of the cutting wheel)

je suis charlie

A condition for shearing is a counterdisc underneath the plate being cut. (Plus narrow tolerances between top and bottom disc. In the video it doesn't look like that.

gruntguru, you're right, shearing, I looked once more to the video and yes there is a table with counterbore underneath the plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back