Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculation of magnetic moment from cored solenoid

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMagnetic

Military
Aug 1, 2002
SE
Can anybody inform me how to calculate the magnetic moment of (not field around) a solenoid coil wound on a tubular iron core? I´d also like to know how to check that the iron doesn´t go into saturation.

I´m a little embarrassed to ask since I have a M. Sc. in electrical engineering, but I just can´t make anything useful out of my textbooks or previous experience.

Many thanks in advance
MrMagnetic

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you'll let me have your e-mail address, iii mail a microsoft document version of my suggestion to you. I can be reached at mowete@hotmail.com.
cheers!
alexike

To answer those questions you have to characterize your material.

You can calculate the solenoid field easily enough H~NI/L

N=number of turns in length L
I=amperage
L=Length of winding

Whether saturation occurs is a matter of the coercivity of your material. some materials saturate (technically) at very small fields.

if you are performing ac measurments saturation is easily identified: at saturation the current is limited by the impedence of the coil wiithout iron present.

some of the best reference material is in the form of transform design equations.

The magnetic moment of a magnetized cylindrical bar is covered in most EM texts (physics) and should not be a major problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back