Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

calculation to determine compressibility factors

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDJ60

Electrical
Oct 31, 2005
US
Need help in calculation for determining the compressibility factor of nitrogen, natural gas, and air at various pressures and temperatures. Any help will be greatly appreciated Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks Latexman, I tried the link but nothing happened as I waited for a good five minutes thinking it might be a large file.

There is a simplified version in the GPSA Engineering Data Book (if you don't have one and you work in gases you are making a huge mistake). It doesn't handle acid gases very well, but comes quite close to the NIST REFPROP.exe equation of state for hydrocarbon products. Both air and Nitrogen are so close to ideal gases that any use you put your equation too will not suffer from calling it 1.0.

For natural gas that includes some acid gas I use the Hall-Yarborough correlation with the Turek modification for acid gas, and below about 5,000 psi it is close enough to REFPROP (which is very close to what you would get from something like HySys). This correlation takes about 3 pages to implement in a MathCad program.

[bold]David Simpson, PE[/bold]
MuleShoe Engineering

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei, Italian Physicist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back