Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculations: Personal Tool or Public Record 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAE

Structural
Jun 27, 2000
US
Here is a qustion for the ages.

Structural engineers provide professional services to their clients. These services involve taking specialized knowledge of material behaviors and applying them in such a way as to "turn ideas into reality."

The process in getting an idea put together that is strong enough, stiff enough, ductile enough, etc. and meets the required building codes involves the engineer using various tools. Traditionally, these tools have involved pencils, paper, calculators, slide rules, etc. Lately, computers and the internet have taken hold. All of these are simply tools that allow the engineer to apply his/her knowledge and create their true instrument of service - the design.

The way an engineer communicates this design is via drawings. The way the design is developed is via calculations. Calculations, I would suggest, are NOT the service an engineer provides. Calculations are NOT an entity that is sold to a client.

But today, it seems, calculations are required to be part of a "submittal" to cities, agencies, etc. as part of the compilation of services that need to be checked by a reviewer, usually an engineer-type working for the governing agency.

I would appreciate comments from you all out there as to your take on this. Are calculations something that should be "reviewed" or are they my own personal tool that allow me to organize my thoughts, develop my ideas, etc. Can a reviewer say, for example, that I need to format my calcs in a particular fashion? Are they stepping beyond their function to review plans for concurrance with a building code?

I guess my bottom line is that the calcs are a road map that show, perhaps, how I got from idea to design. But they (the calcs) are usually very much open to interpretation, confusion, etc. based on the way the engineer uses them to develop his ideas. Not everyone writes down or calculates things in the same way.

Thoughts on this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I view calculations as a "work product"........The only thing that counts is what ius on the drawings. That is what is being built.

If my calculations say for example a W21x62 beam is requided. due to a drafting errror, the drawings specified a W12x26 (same numbers.....different order). Do I get partial credit in the lawsuit? Can I use the argument....My calculations are correct....The wrong beam size was written down... i should get some credit for properly calculating the beam....My draftsman is dislexic (I get no credit for spelling...) and transcribed the beam size.

No...... you still are sued on what was on the drawings. Therefore.....calc's are work product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back