Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculations 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

CivilOne62

Civil/Environmental
Aug 11, 2005
US
I have calculated the area of concrete in cu.yds.

Concrete Plants sell concrete by the yd. I can't remember what the conversion factor is to convert cu. yds. of concrete to yd. of concrete.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1:1

A cubic yard is referred to as a "yard" in the field.

Remember: The Chinese ideogram for “crisis” is comprised of the characters for “danger” and “opportunity.”
-Steve

Area is in square yards or square feet.
Area = length x width
9 SF = 1 SY

Volume is in cubic yards or cubic feet.
Volume = length x width x depth
27 CF = 1 CY

Plants genneraly ship in 10 ubic yard loads - some 12 cubic yards. Remember to allow for waste (I use 10%) and since plastic concrete does not last forever, if you are ordering the concrete from the plant, by sure to specify how far apart you want the trucks.

From
Newspaper columnist and language commentator James Kirkpatrick favors the explanation that it is a reference to the capacity of ready-mix concrete trucks (Fine Print: Reflections on the Writing Art). Safire also plumps for this explanation. This explanation, however, is somewhat questionable as the August 1964 issue of Ready Mixed Concrete magazine gives an average concrete mixer as having a capacity of four and a half cubic yards "just a few years ago" and an average of under six and a half in 1962. A 1988 source (Cecil Adams in More of the Straight Dope), states current mixers range from seven to ten cubic yards, with a rough average of nine. While current averages may be on target, when the phrase arose, the average cement payload was less than four and a half cubic yards. So the cement truck explanation is probably incorrect.

My understanding of "the hole nine yards " is that cloth came in 9 yard rolls, and if you were having a suit made you would have your tailor buy an appropriate amount. If cost were no object and you bought the entire roll, you bought "the whole nine yards"

I've never seen a concrete truck. I have seen steel trucks that carry concrete. ;-)

------------------------------------------
"...students of traffic are beginning to realize the false economy of mechanically controlled traffic, and hand work by trained officers will again prevail."

Wm. Phelps Eno, ca. 1928

I heard that "the whole nine yards" refers to some type of WWII aircraft whose cannons held 27' (9 yards) worth of ammunition. When the fighter came into contact with an enemy aircraft and expended all of his ammo, he told them "I gave him the whole nine yards." I have no idea where I heard that. Sounds like a "Google" is called for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back