Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculators for the PE 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

erikhorton

Civil/Environmental
Feb 8, 2005
US
Now that we can no longer use the HP48 or the TI89 on the FE or the PE, what is the calculator of choice? Reasons?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Out of the approved list
- Hewlett Packard – HP 33s
- Hewlett Packard – HP 9s
- Casio – FX 115 MS and FX 115 MS Plus
- Texas Instruments – TI 30X IIS and TI 30X IIB
- Texas Instruments – TI 36X Solar

I like the TI36X, though last fall when I took the PE exam in a second discipline, i had both a HP9s and TI36X with me.

Programs that I had my on Ti-89 & 86 I uploaded to my computer and printed off and bound them.

I like my TI-83. It does everything I need that I don't need a spreadsheet for, but nnnnooooOOOOOooooo... I have to go buy something else. Can I bring my abacus?

I bought the Casio fx-991MS for this purpose; though it's not readily available in the US. I ordered it online from Canada.

It's not programmable, has dual power sources, does simple vectors and matrices and complex math.

I switched from the TI 89 to the HP 33s. There have been a lot of complaints from older HP users about the new HP 33s, but I like it. I switched to RPN, which I now don't know I ever lived without it, but it has the TI method of input if you don't want to switch to RPN. It also has a nice equation solver and has the ability to write some programs in it. When I found out about the new calculator policy I was at first very upset, but then set off to learn a new calculator. I first went with the TI's as that was the most logical transition, but I was unhappy, mostly with the buttons. They had a squishy feeling and I had to be very conscious about actually making sure the button was pushed. The HP buttons actually give you a little click to let you know you have the button pushed and recorded the number. You might think this isn't that big of a deal until you are crunching away and realize that you miss inputed a number (if you realize) and have to start over. The RPN is nice also because it allows you to solve equations and then pull the answers to use in later calculations without storing to a variable etc. I never really looked at the Casio, but I have been very happy with the HP.

Reverse Polish Notation. Its kinda weird at first but after two days I was hooked and cant even operate an algebraic calculator without thinking real hard about it. Basicly it works as follows. In algebraic mode it works as follows for 2+2

(2) - (+) - (2) - = (four keystrokes)

In RPN

(2) - (enter) - (2) - (+) (four keystrokes)

The nice thing about it though is when you are working the answer is stored in a stack just like in the TI 89 that you can pull down and use numbers after multiple calculations. I know that it seems stupid, (I thought so) but after two days I could really see the advantages to using RPN for calculations. Try it - get totally frustrated - and keep trying. I bet you will like it once you get used to it. One of the things that I always loved about my TI89 was the ability to calculate equations and store the answer for later use, without storing it as a variable. With the smaller calculators RPN is the only way to do this. The HP 33s is limited to four variables in its stack, but its better than no variables like in the TI 30 etc.

aggman - your examples are very simple - for more complex equations the TI requires the use of parenthesis () to keep track of and order to the math. For RPN you actually can reduce the keystrokes and breeze through the most complex numbers without a pause.

I like TI because you can see the whole equation before you hit enter to verify what you have already entered (maybe HP does this now too). You can also retrieve the last 'answer' by using the ANS button.
Never did get use to the pollack notation. Maybe it just sounds bad.

The one thing I missed last fall when I took the PE using an HP33 over my trusty HP48GX is there is no conversions in the HP33.

Be sure to bring comprehensive conversion tables. I had to convert grains (1/7000 of a pound) to grams, bushels to liters (my chart tranlated bushels to quarts), HP to W, and so forth. I spent a big portion of the test trying to convert obscure measuring units into units that the ansewers on the test were in.

I just wished someone had produced something like the TI-85 without a communications port. There is now a big market with no competition for a calculator with all of the conversions on a calculator like an HP33.

I don't think having calculators with built in conversions would change the spirit of the PE exams. Also, tests should not be dummed down to allow for the conversions, because those type of conversions are a reality since some data charts only come in one format.

Thankfully I passed the PE and won't have to take it again.

Good luck to you guys and gals.

buzzp...If you want to use a racial slur, at least spell it correctly. RPN was an innovation by a Polish mathematician/engineer, designed to make the programming of the early calculator logic chips work more efficiently.
Of course, this thread is becoming an HP vs. TI debate, just like at work. I have used both. HP works much better for me.

You got my point. If you dont call someone from Poland a Pollock but Polish, then its not a racial slur.

Perhaps your handle tells you what HP actually gives you.

No, I am just kidding, really.

TI HP dont matter to me what you like.

buzz, I have great sense of humor. Hence my handle. My philosophy is, if you create/invent something of value to the human race, rather than steal it for monetary gain, then you are blessed. That is why I am always poking fun at a certain person who pioneered the Micro"Squish" corporation.

I am glad you seen the humor (however small) in my comments.

So Bill and company should of just been overwhelmed with feeling blessed or should of just turned over the windows idea to the public to do with what they want? I am not up to speed on the whole apple/microsoft history but Bill took the idea and ran with it while the others were still debating about it? Correct? Microsoft gets a bad rap but honestly, I dont think software would be at the level its at without Billy taking over (stealing or whatever) when he did.

buzzp..
I am not a computer professional, nor a hacker. I don't take things seriously regarding Micro-Soft (That was the original name of the company, but he was worried it sounded too much like a soft-serve ice cream).
Like I said above, I do have a sense of humor. However, I am aware of the history that happened regarding the evolution of the PC. I was working a summer job as a technical illustrator at a certain company in Albuquerque, just prior to when Bill Gates and Paul Allen were hired on. My former boss had very unkind things to say regarding Bill G., according to an interview published on the internet. I don't want to get really political here...but I have read a lot on the internet regarding the history of the PC.

Your not alone FalsePrecision. The evolution of said company is definately interesting from what I hear but never really dug into it. I was merely speaking about what they have done for the world with their software. Sure it crashes and spits and coughs (sometimes more than it should) but think about the complexity of such systems. I have never written an OS but imagine one similar to windows would not be very simple given the vast amount of hardware/software it has to work with.
Your point is taken though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back