Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calibration Interval for thread gages 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneO

Marine/Ocean
Jan 16, 2008
US
I have thread gages that are used for gaging various plastic parts. At this time I am sending them out anually.
I don not believe that these gages are wearing down on plastic. I am thinking about sending them out every other year. Any inputs?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you trying to save cost? Hassle? Annually is the typical interval, but I suppose you are right that there wouldn't be much wear against plastic parts.

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Calibration intervals are selectable by the user and I agree with CoryPad that typically annual recertifications are common. We take under consideration frequency of use, and importance of the feature being accurate (relates to gage r&r) for considering intervals. You might also consider the types of filler's if any used in your plastic parts as some such as glass fill can be quite abrasive.

Regards

I have been contemplating bumping up the interval for years and value your inputs. One thing that I have done is to issue select gages for high abrasive plastics. These, I will keep on an annual interval.

Regards

GeneO,

Most calibration standards like ANSI Z-540 handle calibration intervals based on the calibration history of the gage. In other words, if, over the last five years (or whatever interval you want), there have not been any instances of a thread gage coming back 'Out of Tolerance', you have the justification to increase the interval. Contarily, if 10% of the thread gages are coming back out of tolerance then the interval should be shortened to increase the reliability.

At our plant we use 95% acceptance to justify extending an interval and 90% acceptance to mandate shortening an interval.

JR97

Do you have a thread micrometer that you could chek the thread gage with?

if you do, and you keep it calibrated every year, you could verify the accuracy of the gage every so often. Of course this is more for male gages, not sure if there is anything for female gages. figure keep the micrometer calibrated to check the other gages, less cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back