Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calibration management software

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiffy023

Industrial
Sep 16, 2003
GB
Hi forum. Has anyone had any experience with calibration management software?
We are thinking of buying a system that beamex make. The engineers are all for it but the maintenance tech's are weary.
We don't like the idea of test equipment telling you what cal to do next or what the input / output should be etc etc.
Any reviews will be much appreciated.

regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why not? Aren't the techs supposed to follow a set calibration procedure? Or are you implying that they pretty much do whatever they want?

Are you also saying that you've never had to retest product because some critical instrument turned out to be out of cal? Or are you saying that you shipped that product without retesting?

TTFN

No it's nothing to do with that.It's just that it will take the common sense factor out of calibrations.i.e.a druck telling you what you have to cal next and what you should be applying etc.
We already have a cal database that we designed ourselves and works perfectly but management want to introduce a recognised one even though we've had ours for last 7 years.
So ,basically i was wondering if anyone had any experience with them.

I think you seem to be on the wrong lines. AS one subscriber already advised the Cal system is really an aid to ensure you maintain & support your QUALITY standards, that means YOU decide what standards an instrument must meet & the system tells you WHEN any device is due for routine calibration or check to maintain it's accuracy.
The thing is there to HELP you, you can make it as easy or awkward as you like.
Take a look at "Calwatch" from AMP or "Record" from Ambrit (which is web accessible).
Regards

I don't seem to have made my question clear.
On site we have a maintenance management system (PowerMaint) which creates jobs based on a weekly cycle. So if an instrument is due for calibration a work order is automatically generated. From a calibration management point of view we are ok. However this system does not have the facility to store the calibration results, and to this end we created an access database which is tailor made to suit the instruments we have onsite.
Our management team have highlighted this as a weak point in our system, as they feel their could a risk to the integrity of the database should the main designer leave the company.
This is probably a fair point, and so the management are looking into various commercially available calibration packages.
From a technicians point of view I'd like to know which of these systems are good, and whether they flexible enough to suit our site instruments. I.e. do they cater for analytical instruments such as NOx, gas leak detectors, silica,pH, etc, as well as the usual pressure, temp etc
So the reply I'm after is if someone has used a good system which can cope with our requirements please let me know.

A few recommendations may be DocuMint by Honeywell, Cal Mgr 4 by Blue Mountain, or IndySoft. These are high end, but you can start small and expand and they probably cover everything you'll ever need, including analytical. What industry are you in? The above sources are good where quality or traceability requirements are key like Pharma etc are needed. If you need something more basic checkout Progage from American Quality System. As one of the others posters mentioned, look for it to help, not hinder. Most of these packages work with calibrators that allow manual intervention, but automating the calibration process certainly makes ones life easier.
Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back