Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calibration of flow meters

Status
Not open for further replies.

nagarajh

Mechanical
Dec 10, 2003
US
I calibrate a venturi flow meter at non-standard conditions. I know the calibration is not good at a different location where the barometric pressure and temperature are different. How do I convert the displayed flow rate to actual flow rate? What is the best way around having to convert everytime I use the flow meter.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What are you measuring? It's not a problem with liquids(density variation is marginal), for a venturimeter calculates flow by taking pressure difference.

Regards,

I am measuring air flow rate. The flow rate is a function of the pressure difference and the density of air. Hence, I think we have to make the conversion everytime we use the flow meter in conditions other than what it was calibrated? Correct me if I am wrong. Thank you for your responses. I will also look up ASTM D 3195 "Rotameter Calibration"

Dear nagrajh
You must first get the venturi meter Head Vs Flow curve for different temp. Then only it will be possible for you to caliberate. Hence, this shall be obtained from the flow meter supplier only . Otherwise , no one can help it as the flow meter contant varies from supplier to supplier.
You must specify the medium , location etc. in which flow meter is placed.Then we can provide you specific solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back