Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calibration/verification and validation

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGunaratna

Civil/Environmental
Jan 18, 2015
TH
Can someone tell me exactly how to do a calibration/Verification and Validation by using an example? Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can use the case of a pressure air meter.

When calibrating a pressure air meter we first test to verify the meter's appropriate initial pressure. We do this by filling the meter to the top with water (i.e. no air in the air meter), bringing the meter to the assumed initial pressure, and testing. If the meter reads 0% we have confirmed the initial pressure.

Then utilizing a calibrated vessel we remove a fixed volume of water representing 5% air. Once the water is removed we repressurize the air meter to the initial pressure we determined. We then test again. If we get a reading of 5% we than repeat at 10% air and so on.

If any of the readings are off by a certain amount we examine the meter, reconfirm the initial pressure, and start over.

On a regular basis we will utilize a "quick calibration" unit that we toss in the meter and fill with water. With the unit in the meter our tests should come up at 5% air. If it doesn't calibration needs to be reperformed.

In truth each device requiring calibration will typically have instructions specific to standard (i.e. ASTM, AASHTO, ACOE) it is being utilized to perform. If you're working with equipment for ASTM standards please check ASTM E329 and AASHTO R18 which include general details for Quality Control Management. Furthermore look at the individual test methods for calibration requirements.

could you please using an example in the software world.
for example i've modeled a chimney and run a pushover or dynamic analysis.
how i could verify mine with the others.
thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back