Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

California Building Code 1607.7.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

scplanchecker

Structural
Sep 11, 2006
US
I have a plan check / design question regarding an elevated driveway that serves a single family dwelling. CBC 1607.7.3 includes
"Vehicle barrier systems for passenger cars shall be designed to resist a single load of 6,000 pounds (26.70 kN) applied horizontally in any direction to the barrier system and shall have anchorage or attachment capable of transmitting this load to the structure. For design of the system, the load shall be assumed to act at a minimum height of 1 foot, 6 inches (457 mm) above the floor or ramp surface on an area not to exceed 1 square foot (305 mm2), and is not required to be assumed to act concurrently with any handrail or guard loadings specified in the preceding paragraphs of Section 1607.7.1. Garages accommodating trucks and buses shall be designed in accordance with an approved method that contains provision for traffic railings."
Would this apply to the residential bridge/driveway?

Santa Cruz, CA Plan Checker

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is an elevated driveway?

Years back when I would provide the engineering documents so that a property owner could build their driveway. Most of the time and generally I remember it as follows:

I would provide only the minimum for plan checking/acceptance. The owner would not pay for and would not want engineered barrier design, pavement structural section, etc...

I would typically show on the engineered plans the structure and a general layout of a railing, but make it clear that the railing was not a part of the plan and BY OTHERS.

I would verify with the building official that the design would be per AASHTO and not CBC, and that this was preferred. Although, I do remember having to work with the building code, but it varied from plan checker to plan checker. CBC isn't very good for bridges, the section you quoted seems more suited to public parking garages.

Thanks.
The elevated driveway is a short wood bridge that connnects directly to the garage. Guards are required due to the height of the bridge surface. I agree... the CBC isn't very good for bridges. Our fire departments have AASHTO load criteria for fire truck access, but there isn't anything for the railings. The CBC vehicle barrier section does seem to apply to parking garages, however there are no exceptions listed.
I'm a plan checker for a building department, so I will need to approve a design for the guardrail.
I may suggest a curb to act as a bumper guide, next to the guardrail, and go with accepting typical residential loading for the guardrail connections.

scplanchecker, I reasoned this requirement not to apply to the exact condition you are describing. We provided an 8x10 curb bolted thru the edge beam which the jurisdiction accepted. You may want to contact the City of LA and get an interpetation as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back