Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

California Seismic Code Retrofit

Status
Not open for further replies.

XELR8

Mechanical
Feb 20, 2003
US
I want to know what Code requires design retrofit for buildings in the state of California. I am modifying a small building that was built in 1965 and I want to know if the entire building needs to be upgraded and what code allows/exempts required changes.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

the state does not enforce building codes, that is done generally by either the city or county. call the local building department. i can almost guarantee you will need to build shear walls and anchor the building down to the foundation but that would really depend on how the building is constructed.

If I am going to put a 2 inch hole in a the wall of a CMU block building built to 1965 code do I have to redesign or modify the entire building to current day standards because it was modified? I understand the local building departments involvement and I greatly appreciate your response cvg. I need to list what paragragh on what code requires/exemtps changes form current day standards.

honestly, drilling a hole does not require a permit, but you have to contact the building department to find out the specifics of any ordinance. the local ordinance will specify the particular codes to be followed

Ok I will check out the California Building Code and make sure the current amendments are included. I will also call the building department for their requirements. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back