Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Caliper for wire gauges?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlself

Electrical
Dec 13, 2006
US
Does anybody know of an insulated device that will measure the gauge of a wire in the field. I suppose something like an insulated caliper would be sufficient enough and then I could just compare the sizes with the AWG charts later.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Before you start any messurements on live wiring you must know the voltage, and the needed insulation and safety distances.

I understand from your question that you are unfamiliar with electric safety, if that is correct, my best advice is to find somebody who has the skills and tools for the job, or to disconnect.

I would never make mecanical measurements on live circuits over 50V, I have worked with electricity since 1965.

Greetings Aksel

Plastic calipers are available, I have seen "Vee" type plastic diameter gages.
Measuring the gage of a "hot' wire is my last resort. I can usually determine the gage by inspection or comparison with nearby wires of known gage. WITH THE POWER OFF I have used a cresent wrench to gage the wire and then compared the fit on scraps of wire of known gage. Be aware that in the larger gages, a given gage may have four or more different diameters depending on the construction.
For building wires.
The common strandings of equal size strands are the largest diameter of building wires.
A construction of unequal strand will have a lessor diameter.
A compacted strand construction will have a diameter close to that of solid wire.
A solid wire will have the least diameter.
The above not-withstanding, fexible cables, extra-flexible cables, welding cables, welding cables and others will have an even greater diameter than common stranded building wire.
respectfully

I'm with waross keep your hand off.
If you have to "eyeball" alot of wires get some samples so you can look at the wire in the panel and a known sample at the same time.
I would put them in a box with a foam insert so you can pull one at a time out and compair it.
I wouldn't put them on a ring or the like so the rest would be dangling who know where when you trying to figure out what your looking at.
If you have to touch them and are dealing with just a few sizes considering makin "go-nogo" gages out of sheet plastic with long handles. I would not use them on anything but 120/208 systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back