Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call for T23/P23 Micrographs 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest102023

Materials
Feb 11, 2010
CA
I am seeking contributions of micrographs of this material (I hope this is not an inappropriate request for this forum). Any offering should contain relevant information such as:

- material specification & thickness
- hardness
- composition if known
- heat treatment condition, esp. hold time & temp. of PWHT
- weld zone; i.e., CGHAZ, ICHAZ, base metal
- metallographic preparation and magnification

I am having some trouble assessing the microstructures of T23 tubes and welds in the course of several F/A jobs (done for one client only). Also, my self-education on this material has so far been hampered by the questionable metallurgical and fabrication quality of the parts I have examined. I am not fully confident in calling ferrite and GB precipitates (carbides). When you never see a normal structure, it is hard to assess an abnormal one :(

The quality of metallography I can obtain is excellent, although I am open to advice on alternative etching practice (I have so far used 2% nital). I have googled CSEF steels extensively, but it seems that some time ago research papers stopped including etching details. There are some excellent resources on the net for P91 (e.g., Camridge U), but there is much less available for grade 23.

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The problem with sites like those is precisely that they are 'all-round'. You could stock a website with 100,000 micrographs and still not have the one you are looking for. This forum has a number of people with expert knowledge of these specialty alloys and direct experience in practical situations like fabrication and FFS.

bs,

Have you tried etching with picral? Often it is helpful to use both nital & picral (combined or separate) in order to reveal different aspects of the microstructure. George Vander Voort has a number of papers & presentations available for free download, although none of them directly discuss T23 (I think). Here is one paper that does a really good job of illustrating the differences:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back