Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calories into Watts 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

WADMW

Mechanical
Mar 26, 2016
LK
If a bicycle rider burns 300 calories in 30 minutes, how much power output in Watts are we talking about?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The pros all ride with power meters (peddle spindle, crank arm, or rear hub) and track the numbers.
They guard the data closely, but from time to time they release portions of the data.
These guys will ride 85-150 mile stage, it will take 3-6 hours, and average power output will be in the range of 300-500 W. So over the entire stage you are talking 4000-7000 kJ. I get tired thinking about it.
I can manage 150W all day, but anything over 400W in a 10 sec sprint and I die.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

I have a copy here og Grier's Mecnhanic's Calculator from 1835. It has some interesting tables on pull forces and speed. One Sir John Leslie gives us an equation for for the pulling force of a horse at speed V. in miles per hour.

F = 3/4(12-V)[sup]2[/sup] lb

Code:
Velocity of horse    Pull
mph                  lb    Horsepower
0                   108       0.00
1                    91       0.24
2                    75       0.40
3                    61       0.49
4                    48       0.51
5                    37       0.49
6                    27       0.43
7                    19       0.35
8                    12       0.26

My grade[ ]10 physics teacher told us that a horsepower was 550ft.lb/sec, and he estimated that the horse used to test this died of old age some twenty minutes after the test.

Grier quotes someone named Gregory, claiming that a man at rest can exert 70lb, and can walk unloaded at 6ft/sec. This man can draw 31-1/9lb at 2ft/sec.

--
JHG

I read quite some time ago that when he quantified 1HP he simply did a test on a standard horse and multiplied the number by 2 for marketing purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back