Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cam Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuck

Mechanical
Feb 3, 2003
US
I am searching for information regarding the design of Cams in mechanical equipment. Specifically, the transfer of forces, torsion requirements ect. The cam I am to design is rotary style similar to what is used for the crank shaft of an automobile. As the cam rotates inside the lobe it will transfer forces and cause linear translation of the body.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IF YOU ARE A SOLID MODELING PERSON - YOU MIGHT TRY THE MECHSOFT ADD-IN FOR SOLIDWORKS.

I HAVE NEVER USED IT BUT I HAVE USED THE GEAR DESIGN SECTION OF THE PROGRAM. THE FORMULAS ARE RUN AS YOU MODIFIY THE DESIGN ALLOWING YOU CHECK THE PART.

I FIND THIS HELPFUL TO FIND A STARTING POINT BEFORE CRACKING THE BOOKS AND BURNING ERASERS.

JACKBOOT

Hi Tuck,

I would recommend you try the book "CAMS FOR INDUSTRY" by John Reeve 1995. I have found this book to be very helpful. The book comes with useful software for designing mechanical cams of all types, and you can export a drawing of the cam in DXF format and import it into your CAD drafting program.

The book is published by Mechanical Engineering Publications Limited, London. I think you can also buy this book at or get a copy at your library through interlibrary loan.

Professor Robert Norton has also written a book called "CAM DESIGN AND MANUFACTURING HANDBOOK" which is a good modern book on the design of mechanical cams. Professor Norton also sells a cam design software package called Dynacam. The website link is
A great book that is available through interlibrary loan (but non longer in print) is "CAMS: DESIGN, DYNAMICS, AND ACCURACY" by Harold A. Rothbart.

There is a software program for solidworks called "Camtrax" that can design all types of cams. The website link is
Another program is "Cam designer" by Delta Engineering. The webpage link is
There are also some add on packages for AutoCAD out there for designing cams and you can also do it with Mechanical desktop 6.

I would check out the book CAMS FOR INDUSTRY by John Reeve first. The book and included software are cheaper than the other software suggestions and the software is easy and quick to use. I have actually found the software with this book more helpful, quick and versatile than some of the more complex and expensive software that is available for the design of mechanical cams.

I hope this helps out.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back