Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cam drive noise reduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivymike

Mechanical
Nov 9, 2000
US
Would anybody be able give me some information on techniques used to reduce noise in cam drive systems, especially "nodal" gear drive systems? Textbook references, SAE paper references, firsthand knowledge, websites, etc., would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

FWIW - probably not much - my 1974 Mercury (ie Ford) Capri 2.8 V6 had a helical gear drive to the cam. It was a phenolic plastic gear with a metal center. I found this out when the phenolic part disintegrated abruptly one day at maybe 75,000 miles. No warning noise or erratic running, just suddenly stopped running. Replacement was metallic, can't remember what kind of metal. Both phenolic and replacement metal gears gave very quiet service with nothing fancy in the way of backlash elimination. Probably had very light valve springs and shallow lift ramps so oscillating loads were moderate.

Rob45

Are you suggesting that it is impossible to design a durable idler gear for a cam drive in nylon.

Do you suggest the same for reinforced thermosets such as wood and cotton reinforced phenolic.

Have you ever seen or heard of a metal cam drive gear failing.

Do used oil filters normally contain debris, and what is the typical makeup of this debris.

Regards
pat pprimmer@acay.com.au
eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back