Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAM in UG

Status
Not open for further replies.

AutoSolutions

Mechanical
Nov 21, 2005
US
I have UG NX with the Manufacturing Module. What is the best way to learn CAM in this software?

About 10 years ago, I programmed a cnc plasma in G-Code, but that is the extent of my experience with CAM. I utilize UG to design factory automation equipment.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Take a training class from UG or CAD Potential.
Use CAST or i.get.it.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
Sr IS Technologist
L-3 Communications

I've checked into a class, but the nearest one offered was 3 hours away. I can spare time after normal working hours right now, but work day time is hard to come by since the phone is ringing so much(a good thing). So I had dismissed taking the class from UG for now.

I haven't installed CAST yet because the doc CD crashes my machine for some reason.

Take the training.

With little or no CAM experience as you say, NX CAM will not be easy to pick up cold.

The CAST training is good if you have someone who is familiar with CAM and how it works but someone like yourself you are in for a good deal of training and time.

Welcome to NX CAM

Listen to Duece. I've been using the CAM package for about 10 years and still learn something new every day or forget something I knew the day before. It is NOT an "entry" level CAM package or an "easy to use" package for that matter. It requires a fairly extensive knowlege of the design functionality of UG in order to use the CAM. It's a very strong package...not many out there comparable in capabilities....but it's about the toughest one to learn. Fumbling through it in your spare time will probably not get you far. Take the training....you'll probably want to take a design training course first to familiarize yourself with the interfaces.

Take care...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back