Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAM Package 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

geo12

Mechanical
May 27, 2003
CA
Hi everybody,

My company is planning to buy a CAM package for our CNC section to machine 3D surfaces and profiles with very tight tolerance.
Can Anybody suggest the best CAM package available in the market?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What CAD package are the designs done in?

How much do you want to spend?

How much time do you want to spend setting up the system to do things 'automatically'?

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Thanks Ben,
The CAD part we are getting done from out source now.

Presently we use Cimatron for CAM and it gives problems in 3D surfaces sometimes. Budget doesn't matter much.We look for less problems with 3D surfaces.Our business is Molds and DieCasting Dies
We came to know that UG NX2 is concentrating more on CAM.
Do you have any suggestions.

Thanks for your comments,once again

If cost isn't an issue, why not stay with UG's cam package? Using the master model system, you can keep the cam files tied to the model files, all in their native part format. No translations, and changes to the model only require regenerating or minor editing to the cam file.

FYI, we use UG's cam package to mill 3D surfaces when making molds for car parts. By keeping everything in the UG family, it also allows for concurrent design, and manufacturing prep. ie our cnc operator can be setting up his toolpaths while I'm still designing the part.

-Dave

Hello everyone,
this company is using UG NX1 for CAD&CAM. We just starte to use the UG CAM. WE do not have problem on generating tool path and G-code, but cannot get the machining time calculated by UG CAM. Can someone tell me if UG CAM has a function to tell how much machining time it will be on a generated tool path and/or operation? What should I do to get to know an estimation of machining time from UG CAM?
Thanks,
David.

You must be using UG/Post. Their is a code snipet on the UG BBS for adding the machining time to your postbuilder generated code.

"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Thanks Looslib.
Would you please to let me know if it is possible for me to add this feature by myself? Should I reinstall the whole package of this UG CAD/CAM software?
Regards,
David M.

You don't need to re-install anything. You need to get the code from the UGS BBSnotes system and add it to your existing postprocessor generated from postbuilder.

I haven't used UG/post in 4 years, so I am not sure of all of the steps to do this in postbuilder. I just know that it can be done. The last UG/Post we developed was before postbuilder was avialable!

"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Hello geo12,
I have a long experience with different software packages for moldmaking industrie. Lately we did a long research to evaluate which is the software that the company which I work could get.
Onestly, nothing has impressed me more than TopSolid.
I think is best software for mold making and complete with 2D, 3D, CAM 2-5 axis.
The only downside is that is not wellknown in US.

I don't know what Top X is but TopSolid always had assemblies. Take a look at their website Topsolid.com
It is impresive the aproach to the tool that the software does.

From one of the Top Solid deals sites:

"Assemblies can be tricky when using most of the software on today’s market. However, TopSolid's assemblies work for the user, not the other way around. This system allows one, or several parts per file without having to be in assembly mode. There isn't a more flexible way to handle assemblies and sub-assemblies. In addition, modifications can be made through an Excel database link, the model manager tree or by direct part selection."

That's what I remebered, thye call having multiple bodies on one part file and "Assembly". I knew of some mold shops that thought this was a great idea at first. It didn't take long for them to discover the value of modularity in complex design.

Take a look at the Top Solid dealers, most of them are garage operations and some don't even mention Top Solid on their web sites or if they do, it is a secondary product.

I'm sure they have some clever features though.

Jonathan T. Schmidt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back