Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAM program advices!

Status
Not open for further replies.

var10

Mechanical
Apr 4, 2013
IN
Hola!

End of this year we are planning to get 3axis cnc milling machine. We currently use Solidworks for 3D cad and I am in a hunt for a CAM package to go along with Solidworks. I am leaning towards CAD integrated CAM or rather than stand alone ones. For now it is only me that uses CAD and most probably I will be the only person to use CAM, but may be now and then someone else might use it (we can probably transfer licenses but not work at the same time).

Being aware of the limitations and advantages of integrated ones my question is are there any stand alone ones that updates CL data when there are minor design changes. (obviously not if I put a pocket or chamfer in my new design).

We only have one Cad license ATM. Are there any free CAM packages or cheap ones that you would suggest? Probably also need some support during the initial stages.

I came across HSMxpress a freeware which integrates with Solidworks. few other ones are HEEKS, Gsimple and Freemill. Opinion?

Thanks

V.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You usually get at least a primitive CAM program with any CNC machine.
Sometimes a simulator, too, so you can practice at home.

I should note that if you are going to hire a professional machinist to be your CNC person, you may find their preferences for a CAM program are very different from your own.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

it's another case from me,we do not use computer for programing and operator (we do not have a specific person for program instead of programing by operator himself) dose it manually or write in notes type and transfer to machine by flash card.
what kind of product you will produce and experience beside computer program should be in consideration for your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back