Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAM questions for NX6

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamstar

Aerospace
Nov 4, 2008
US
HI,

I have a few basic questions in regards to the CAM module of NX6. I am creating toolpaths and verifying them without any problems using the end mills that I have loaded in the pockets. Now I would like to SIMULATE instead of VERIFY my toolpaths, so I proceeded to select my machine as using a Fanuc 3 axis vertical mill controller... no problem up to this point. However when I click simulate, it says there is no tools loaded in the machine. In my "machine tool" view, my tools are all loaded and everything is fine when i verify. Why does it tell me that I cannot simulate because there are no tools loaded in the machine?

Also, I was trying to do "comparisons" between different cutting methods (follow part, zig zag etc...), and so I was hoping I could find the "cutting time" somewhere. Is there a way to find out how long an operation will take to cut? Is this the best method to optimize my programming?

In setting my parameters, I tell NX6 to use 150ipm feedrate but when I verify the animation, it says another feedrate... any thoughts??

Lastly, why does the Fanuc 3 axis vertical mill looks like an horizontal mill and vice versa?

Thank you very much to all.

Max

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can't help with your simulate question, no license for that option.

To get the Time you can add to column to the operation Navigator. From the Operation navigator menu select columns and activate Time and Distance. Use the Properties option to customize the columns. Unfortunatly the time does not display for drilling operations that use a standard cycle or for lathe operations.

John Joyce
Tata Technologies iKS
1675 Larimer St.
Denver, CO
www.myigetit.com

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=1b3486fa-786a-4334-a014-a3ce89e931d7&file=ont.gif
John,

You are brilliant! Thank you so much. Little things like that seem like nothing, but will make a HUGE difference for me in being more efficient. I always say:"everybody can cut metal with a CNC, but it's how efficient you are at cutting it that makes the difference!" I'm kind of new at NX but i can see its potential.

Is that "time" pretty accurate when it comes down to actually cutting the part ?

regards
Max

"Is that "time" pretty accurate when it comes down to actually cutting the part ?"

As far as the cut feed rate yes, on the rapid motion it has its own default rapid feed. I have not bothered to figure out what it is.

John Joyce
Tata Technologies iKS
1675 Larimer St.
Denver, CO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back