Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Camber Change Curve 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joest

Mechanical
Jan 16, 2003
US
From observation, it seems that for a particular style of vehicle group (i.e. front-engine rear-drive sedan, rear engine sports car, etc.) there are suspension characteristics that have been proven to work very well. My question is: For a front-engine rear-drive sedan with a SLA front suspension and a standard live axle (watts link or panhard lateral control) what seems to be the optimal camber change curve for a road race setup. Currently my design utilizes an upper control arm length of about 8.5" and an effective lower control arm length of 14.5". The static RCH is approximately 0.85" above ground. This changes to about 1.75" above ground when one side is bumped 2" and the other is 2" in rebound. From my estimates this design requires about -2 degrees of static camber to keep the tires "flat" during max cornering. The front of my vehicle will utilize an anti-roll bar, but the back will not. The back will be controlled by changing the RCH with an adjustable watts link pivot point. Any thought on this, especially those related to the camber-change curve will be very much appreciated. Thanks..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Heat build up will be very fast, if not instantaneous, at the contact patch during cornering, if that is what you are asking. The power density at that point is enormous. If you mean, how quickly does it dissipate as the tyre revolves then the answer is not very quickly, but I have no clue as to the actual time constant. (it takes two or three laps to get up to working temeprature for an F1 tyre, that probably tells you what the time constant is)

Saab have promulgated a suspension that moves the roll centre across to the opposing contact patch, is this what you are doing?

You might want to read up on the various DAX OPT and X link threads here, we have discussed them in the past, and probably will do so again.

How good is your tyre data?

Cheers

Greg Locock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back