Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Camera - PLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterEs

Mechanical
Sep 17, 2005
BE
Hello all,

I'm a belgian machine builder.
For a certain project we are asked to make a movement from a camera picture.
It goes like this: A camera makes a picture from a certain form. From this picture, I have to calculate the outline. This outline has to be transformed to a number of coordinates, that I have to follow with a X-Y-table.
Does anyone has any experience with these kind of things?
I know how to control a servo by sending the coordinates out of a PLC, but I don't know how to start on the first step.

Tnx for the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Peter,

Are talking about some closed loop system or will it be a feed forward based upon the image data ?

How will you be doing the outline calculations, is a PLC capable of that ? All the systems I know use PC-based solutions to do image analysis.

If you are talking about a closed loop system, you will need a system that is fast enough to create sufficiant bandwidth.

When you choose to use a PC to analize the image, there are plenty of libraries taht you can use, you could check this site for more information on image processing libraries:

Hi there.
We used the same sort of process to capture an image of a brick on a conveyor belt using the camera. The camera then interfaced with a visual basic program/excel to plot the coordinates, then sent the coordinates to the robot. You will have to use a PC with the correct software to do what you are aiming for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back