Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Camera Reflector system- same project- new thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

salukikev

Mechanical
May 14, 2008
US
Hi! You might remember me from the last two threads in this group..(not all that active I see). Anyway, I'm still dabbling with that same project where I'm trying to capture an image from inside a transparent sphere. I've got the hyperhemisphere, and I've got a few ideas for how to manage the wiring but still brainstorming ways to reap more benefits without all the shortcomings. To that end, this weeks idea was to have a stationary camera point down into the sphere. At the origin of that sphere there would be a reflector mounted on an axis. That axis would be mounted to a single sided swingarm that could also rotate. (this detail omitted in attached drawing for clarity) In this way, I could get a full view around the equator easily and a pretty decent angle view up and down. (I'm even considering a flip action to selectively view straight down).

So of course this is pretty cool in that I can skip all the hassle of mounting the whole camera assembly and I don't have to worry about wiring anything except the optics.
What I DO have to worry about is distortion and range of motion now that my hemisphere is acting as an optic too. (which it always would but now it varies per angle).

I still use Optical Ray tracer for stuff like this, but thought there might be a more elegant solution or some unforseen hangups with something like this. I surely like the benefits but as always these complications are cause for concern so here I am. Fundamentally though, I feel like a system like this is a really good idea, but I can't seem to find any existing examples or even useful keywords to describe it. I'm sure there's some out there and I'd love to see something similar that's been fleshed out a bit more before starting toward an experiment.

**I guess what I'm really trying to accomplish can be described as a rotary prism, but I want to try to place the axes in a way that delivers as uniform a viewpoint and consequent distortion as possible.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The distortion will always be constant but I'm thinking of how to make it at least uniform so that I might filter it out more easily. I'll know the position of both axes at all times so theoretically I could always make a software adaptive filter for post processing but it will be a lot more complicated in a configuration where distortion is dynamic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back