Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Campground RV Direct Sewage Hookups 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoomer

Civil/Environmental
Nov 22, 2004
US
I'm doing grading and utility design for a campground in a Minnesota state park. The campground consists of full RV hookups -- sewer, water and electric. Just curious, but any advice on daily volume of sewage production you would assume for design? Also, our sewage will need on site treatment. For a previous RV dump station we designed, we had to do additional treatment beyond just a septic and drain field -- had to do aeration after settling out solids and before being dosed to mound system due to concentration of BOD and RV chemicals. But we're doing direct hookups here, so would we need to provide this type of secondary treatment? Thoughts and questions are appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The following link is for a Univ. of Minn published document for sewage flows and has some tables on estimating for different types of establishments.

But ultimately whoever is reviewing and approving this design likely has their own criteria for this estimation and also the required treatment methods or the extent to which it must be treated. I would probably determine who is reviewing/approving your design and give them a call to ask for this criteria rather than spending too much time researching others opinions as different jurisdictions have different criteria.

From a quick google search it looks like this might be your reviewing/approving agency

Although it seems from the link below that the Univ. of Minn. might have something to do with it.

Once you determine the size and mix of your proposed facility find a tel. number and pick up the phone to get your sight specific facts addressed so you don't spin your wheels researching too long.

Also, do you have perc tests completed yet for your proposed drain field area? That might have a major impact on the size of your drain field.

I think your waste strength will still be on the strong side when compared to typical municipal wastewater: people in campgrounds aren't taking long showers or washing clothes.

As previously mentioned, a lot will depend on your local review agencies as to what level of treatment beyond septic will be required. I work in two different states that have quite differing regulations on drain fields and required perk rates.

Have you evaluated the alternate use of a packaged MBR + aeration + microfilter + UV, without a sand filter or leach field? Are the lower cost packaged units from China worth the risk?

"Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back