Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

camshaft design software 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

v114

Mechanical
Dec 15, 2004
US
I am looking for a good camshaft design software package that will allow entry of different cam profiles and be able to predict the seat and nose pressures required for proper valvetrain motion.

I would be using this for an overhead cam, direct acting (bucket)lifter design. Are there any good packages out there?

The idea here would be to get a basic understanding of what valve springs would match to specific cam profiles before actually producing real parts.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would recommend 4stHEAD. There are 3 main reasons for this:
1. Price - in relation to previous two examples.
2. I have it on good authority that it is being used very successfully in NASCAR, which is probably the most intense environment for a valtrain dynamics simulation.
3. Unlike the other softwares mentioned, this suite actually produces the relevant cam manufacturing data necessary for most cam grinding machines (in addition to all the other relevant dynamic data required in the analysis).

There have been many articles written on this software in the "Race Engine Technology" magazine. These can be downloaded directly form the following site:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back