Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can a 5L Gisholt be 'twisted' straight by anchoring it to concrete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumpjones

Mechanical
Nov 9, 2000
US
The old timers at the plant where I work tell me that it is possible to "twist" the frame of a Gisholt 5L lathe to compensate for way wear. I believe that the concrete pressure cone will fail and pull out before enough force can be exerted on the frame to straighten it. We are using 3/4" redhead self tapping concrete anchors to 'twist' the lathe straight.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How long will this sort of thing last until an anchor bolt either shears or yields? Not that this can't be done but is it the best way to solve the problem?
Do you have cost constraints that prohibit you from having the machine fixed correctly?

Please, more info.......

Mostly the cost to repair these machines, the ways are not replacable. We are currently rearranging the plant to align the equipment to value stream manufacturing. And moving these machines causes a lot of problems to surface.

How are you going to determine when the bed is straight? I do not allow machines to be set in a twist. The weight on the leveling screws has always been enough to get the machine straight. I would not hesitate to add weight or pull to a leveling screw if I needed it. I would prefer an anchor bolt where I can see the torque I am using and something I can move in and out. Some of the self tapping anchors I have used say "one time in only".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back