Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can a heat transfer surface be too slick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hollerg

Chemical
Mar 22, 1999
US
I am debottlenecking a continuous dryer which fouls at high production rates. What impact would adding a diamond like coating or nitriding or polishing the 316 stainless steel have on the heat and hydrodynamic transport?

Adhesion (cohesion) of the sodium organic salt to a mill finished stainless steel is very high at the operating temperature 300 F. It is highly agglomerating and forms crust if not mechanically disturbed.

The dryer is built as a heated horizontal cylinder, containing a center shaft with a spiral of short blades that intermesh with stationary hooks, to clean the heated blades (~ 3 mm clearence).

If I only modify the cylinder interior, I imagine sliding but the hooks would result in surface renewal. Is there a negative to not coating the hooks, shaft and blade? Lack of convective turnover? increased stress on the hooks?

If I modify all surfaces, can I be too slick?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It seems like you need to try a sample of each regime of all possibilities within your existing dryer to determine what works best. I think that very smooth surfaces might foul more since you could adhere uniformly to the total surface versus having surface asperities. I think that to determine the effects on heat transfer you will need to do mocked-up experiments to determine the effect on drying time.

I haven't tried them, but I came across boron nitride release agents when researching a different type of sticking problem at high temperature. A simple release agent applied during cleanouts may be an alternative.

In short, yes, you can have a surface that is too slick. As you probably know a film will develop to prevent transfer that would be as good. While it can be a good thing for things such as sterile environments, it can be not-so-good for heat exchangers.

It you are boiling from the surface, slick is definitely BAD. You want a rougher surface to get the nucleation sites.

If it is to slick, how are you ever going to predict the boundary layer effect?

Ken

Ken
KE5DFR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back