Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can a seat connection (stiffened or not) resist torsion? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

sigma1

Structural
Jun 26, 2003
US
I have a beam spaning between two columns 14 OC that supports two (2) pipes. The pipes move due to thermal expansion and contraction and even thought the friction has been reduced, it is still high enough to induce some torsion. The question is: Can a stiffened or unstifenned beam connection resist any torsion?

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks JedClampett.

The connections has been made with a thick top angle bolted to concrete with two (2) anchor bolts and not the otional side clip. However, I am planing to add a stiffener to the seat angle between the bottom concrete anchor bolts. Flexibility of the connection is not that critical.

the question is whether the pipe friction will induce torsion on the beam.

usually in pipe rack design the moment caused by pipe friction is neglected because it will be counter acted by the weight of pipe.

I think an unstiffened seat angle with a top angle is IDEAL for resisting torsion. Don't forget that you still must weld the top angle as shown in the AISC Manual to allow the connection to become a pin for gravity loads.

DaveAtkins

If the end connection can't take the torsion surely that is OK as long as the beam and connection is able to twist enough to relieve the sideways force from the pipe expansion. Why not design the end connection to allow for the twist.

Thanks phuduhudu

If that is what we want, I dont see a problem replacing it with a double clip angle connection. I was just concerned of what will happen to the beam when the pipe starts moving. Is it going to remain vertical or it will start twisting? However, I tend to agree with westheimer1234 that the twisting will be counteracted with the much larger dead weight load.

Thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back