Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAN AN ASME DESIGNED PRESSURE VESSEL BE USED IN EUROPEAN STATES (PED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

david97

Mechanical
Nov 4, 2007
GB

This conversation is in continuation to the above link-apologies for any discomfort.

From the discussion earlier,
We have designed a vessel as per ASME standard and cutomer wants the vessel to be also designed as per PED. MATERIALS HAVE ALREADY BEEN PURCHASED AS PER ASME

As per Annex 1, theseare the safety precautions I have taken,
1. Hydrostatic pressure as per Annex 7.4
2. Final Assessment will be carried out as per Annex 3.1 and same goes on marking and labelling.
3. Vessel falls under Module H so it has to third party inpection

MY ONLY WORRY IS CAN I USE ASME STAMP MATERIAL AND CAN STILL HAVE VESSEL CERTIIFED TO P.E.D

Any views greatly appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

David97,
Fawkes makes some very good points. Although every Notified Body reads the same PED, they sometimes enforce or accept differently, for material approval, welding, etc. I have worked with TUV Rheinland and HSB Global Standards and both have their strengths and weaknesses.

If you have already purchased materials by ASME standards you may have problems or have to do extra testing to get acceptance. Choose your NoBo carefully and ask how they handle welding, material approval, travel costs of auditors, etc.

Thanks Fawkes and PVinpector on your time and views.

Apologies- went out for holidays and christams is coming soon..:)

I fully agree with your points as nameplate will be done as per PED becuase the vessel is going in Europe.
Materials, I can't comment as I will be waiting on NB comments, luckily our NB is Lylods as well.

But as Fawkes said that the vessel certifying both PED and ASME are acceptable in certain situation, Material selection might all depends on the design condition the vessel might be used.

What if the design conditon are not too extreme. I mean if the deign temp is between -1 to 120 (degree) celcius and
design pressure is just 10 bar.
Seismic and other design factor are normal as well, than I beleive ASME material should be accpeted for PED vessels.

David97,

In your PMA you have to document your material has appropriate properties, is sufficiently tough and ductile, not affected by ageing and suitable for the intended processing.
Most of these requirements are covered by the material specifiation.

Regards,
swig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back