Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can balloons be attached to BOM items or empty models

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoenixDynamometer

Industrial
Jan 6, 2011
US
We have drawings that list items like Loctite, grease, etc in the BOM. These are empty models with a part number so they appear in the BOM. Is it possible to add them to stacked balloons some how? Or, what about adding the BOM line item to the balloon attached to the nut, bolt, pin, etc. I just want to be able to show that this bolt also gets this loctite but not the other loctite, etc. Trying as hard as possible to stay away from manual notes that do not update, etc...

Thanks
PD
SW2014 SP1.0

Home of the world's most accurate and repeatable dynamometers, dynamometer accessories, and data acquisition & control software.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi ctopher,
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately nothing seems to let me select an item from the BOM as the "stacked balloon" unless I am missing something. Because the Loctite, grease, etc, are hidden, there is no model to click on. If you click on the arrows on the left side of the BOM it expands over to show model icons which may work but the expansion area goes away as soon as you click off of it.

Home of the world's most accurate and repeatable dynamometers, dynamometer accessories, and data acquisition & control software.

That's correct, drill down to part from the drawing tree. I've done it both by showing the origins and by the drill down method, but the showing origins can get messy.

racingd98

Maybe I am doing something wrong here.

[ul]
[li]I RMB click on an existing balloon and select "add to stack"[/li]
[li]I drill down the tree of "drawing view1"[/li]
[li]Nothing happens when I click on the item or the origin of the item in the tree[/li]
[/ul]

Sorry, I'm not sure what's going on. I do it all the time with things like tie wraps, Loctite, etc. in which I have created a blank dummy file that only has properties in for BOM info. In fact I just did not more than 30 minutes ago. Wish I could help more, maybe someone else can chime in.

racingd98

RacingD98, which version of SW are you using?

I know that was an option previously, but I just tested in SW14 and like PD I was unable to select the origin from the tree.

RacingD98 - can you take some screenshots of your step by step and post them here? If you're on 2014 and can still do it then we all should be able to do it. Or even a link to a short 30sec video would be great :)

Thanks

PD,

I tried to video capture this morning but the feature manager tree did not show up, only the graphics area. I don't have any other video capture ability and it would take an act of congress to get it thouigh our IT department. So I have attached a WORD document with some screen captures in it, hope they help.

As you can see in the FM tree that McMaster-Carr part 7474A14 has no solid geometry associated with the part, only BOM info. I clicked on the stacked balloon command, selected part #1 then expanded the tree to find the McMaster-Carr part then expanded that part then clicked on "Origin" and balloon 12 was put onto the stack.

Sorry I couldn't get a video, hope this helps.
racingd98

OK, I JUST TRIED TO UPLOAD THE WORD FILE BUT AGAIN, TRUE TO FORM, OUR IT DEPARTMENT HAS THIS ABILITY BLOCKED, SORRY PD. I read above that CorBlimeyLimey was able to do it at home, maybe he can upload something that will help, thanks CBL if you can.

racingd98

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back