Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can Basket Strainers be erected in vertical orientation 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArunavaSinha

Chemical
Jan 1, 2016
IN
In one of our project, we are installing 350 NB basket type strainers at suction of horizontal pumps of closed loop chilled water circuit. Our client wants the strainers to be orientated in vertical orientation (i.e. in vertical headers) because of ease of insertion/removal of strainer element and better sealing of strainer element by gasket due to self weight of strainer element

From design point of view is it practically desirable to install 350 NB basket type strainers in vertical orientation? What are the pros and cons of horizontal and vertical orientation of basket strainers?

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would say "Yes" Basket Strainers can be installed in a vertical line (wait---wait---wait--) if the flow is Down. This applies for both the "Y" pattern Basket Strainer and the "Cross" Pattern Basket Strainer. The key here is the ability to remove the Basket (for cleaning) without the trash falling back down the pipe

Sometimes its possible to do all the right things and still get bad results

If this is an existing installation, then OK, maybe. Otherwise NO, NO, NO, unless you want to be known as "THE IDIOT" for the next 100 years.

Normally no, mainly because you need to have another drain and also the basket is not designed to handle those loads. Clearly all the debris will end up on one side and could tear the filter. If your strainer is like this griswoldwatersystems.com/gws-products/accessories/basket-strainer/ then I don't understand how you get better sealing when placed vertically?

Can you post a section drawing of your strainer?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

In the horizontal, the basket acts as containment when the strainer is open for cleaning. In the vertical, it does not! This may not sound like a lot, but the vertical installations will be INHERENTLY much more messy and unsafe! Incomplete drainage will result in exposure to the operator and a spill, or, worse, a spill ONTO the operator. It's not a matter of IF, it's a matter of WHEN.

Do yourself a favor. Convince the client to go horizontal. If cannot, tell them NO, it's a safety issue.

In 37 years experience, I have never seen a basket strainer in vertical. In an incline? Yes, but never vertical. At least one vendor has the basket in an incline with the horizontal connections. There is a reason! Anyone ever seen vertical?

As LittleInch, please send drawing in case I do not understand your basis.

Good luck,
Latexman

To a ChE, the glass is always full - 1/2 air and 1/2 water.

A Y-strainer can be installed in either a horizontal or vertical position (Downward flow) with the screen element pointing downward. This allows the strainer screen to collect material in the strainer at the lowest point of the screen.

Basket strainers are designed for installation in horizontal lines. They are commonly used for liquid service applications. As suggested by Latexman, if installed in a vertical position, there is no way to remove the basket without spilling of the basket contents.

My advice if you install them in any position other than horizontal, with the hatch up, be sure you use the words "for natural cleaning purposes" in place of "spilling".
[hourglass]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back