Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can/Bottle detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plafki

Electrical
May 10, 2015
FI
Sensor to detect cans/bottles and tell such event
Question title quite much covered it.

I am trying to build a sensor that lets me know when bottle or can bypasses the sensor, then sends anykind of data when correct object is detected, for example a simple audio beep.

The problems:

1) What kind of sensor to do this (infrared, pixel-model camera or metal’detector’ etc.)

2) How to make it create event after detection (simple beep will do).

Basically the idea is that its a detector of bottles in outside environment.

I would appreciate links to articles/researches/buy lists/youtube whatever you can come up that could help me further.

I will be checking this thread almost daily so open a discussion with me! Im always open minded :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What does it need to reject?

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

What kind of bottles, metal, plastic? What kind of cans, aluminum, tin? What environment is this to be done, lab, recycling center, daylight, artificial lighting? What cost?

You've barely given enough information to even being to think about the problem. You need to put on your engineering hat and come up with some solid and usable requirements.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

For starters I am trying to build sensor to recognize CAN (alumium) from a long distance as long as 50 meters.

The environment will be hazardous, sometimes clear but sometimes forest as it will work in outside as antenna to detect those CANs from further away.

Light is the same as outside so it's changing from morning towards night.

The cost doesn't really matter since it hobbywise reasons with great motivation though. Ofcourse as cheaply as possible but if requirements requires advanced technology I am willing to build it.

ATM I know that arduino is good to give feedback of the find. (Also IR sensor which are cheap and will do the work just fine.
And also going to try photoelectric sensors which gives longer range which I can experiment on.

Do you happen to know places to buy these parts?
( is this cheap?
I know this is asked much, but do you recommend other part list than (

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back