Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Carbon Fiber be Plated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eromlignod

Mechanical
Jul 28, 2006
Guys:

I have a small part made from rigid carbon fiber composite that has been machined to size. Is it possible to electroless plate it with metal?

It is for cosmetic purposes: I want the part to look like it's made of brass. I suppose if I can get a base plate of any type metal, I can plate brass over that. Is it possible?

Thanks for any replies.

Don

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As far as I'm aware, No.

My professional reccomendation would be to buy a can of brass-colored spray-paint and paint your part. Apply a few layers of clear coat, and be done with it.

Well, this is a production part that will be next to a lot of other actual brass parts (it's in a piano), so it has to look pretty authentic. I will try it though. Thanks.

Don

Carbon fiber composites can be and are electroless plated. I can't tell you how but Composite Optics in San Diego does it for space structures and wave guides. Those who do it keep the know how proprietary. If you search for people who metalize plastic parts you should find a solution. If the conuctivity of the carbon causes a problem in the electroless process you can always coat the composite with a non-conductive coating first. Evaporative coating should work as well, I would think. There is also always gold leaf.

i believe i once saw a honda motorcycle with chromed stanchions and i believe a company called pace cycles had some bicycle forks done as well

yes they were carbon fibre not steel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back