Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can EN 10204 Type 3.1 certs be created internally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

papajorgio

Mechanical
Sep 30, 2021
US
I am being asked to provide a 3.1 cert for a finished assembly my company produces. We have complete design control over the product and 100% test all units in house. I've seen similar situations where a manufacturer of say a pump will provide a 3.1 cert stating the product passed factory acceptance test and meets all requirements dictated by the PO, product specifications, and inspections.

My question is, can I state "Certificate 3.1 according to EN 10204" on our test reports w/o involving a 3rd party to review or approve the document or test results?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Basically Yes.

3.1 Is where the company has a separate QA/QC department from main production.

3.1 Can relate tp testing of a final product or it can relate to an individual piece part. Even then it can be so that a 3.1 is a material certificate which basically requires the 3.1 to document the material grade, chemical composition, mechanical properties etc., relative to the material specification used.

The best way is to qualify your 3.1 offering to the client.

eg. ISO 10204 3.1 is offered for the main body material
and/or testing of final product is done acc to our procedure no 1234 and certified by our QA to ISO-10204 3.1

When a third party is required by the client, we then move into 3.2 territory a more complex requirement.

Note that ISO-10204 states the minimum requirements that should appear on a certificate, like company, name, address, inspector, stamp, referenced specification, test etc.

Hope that helped.

*** Per ISO-4126, the generic term 'Safety Valve' is used regardless of application or design ***

*** 'Pressure-relief Valve' is the equivalent ASME/API term ***

Make sure you describe exactly what you are putting as properties on the certificate.
A generic statement as "the part conforms to all internal requirements" does not suffice.
But yes again, 3.1 certificates typically come from an in-house QC dept (that is independent from the production dept.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back