Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I change "Add" volume into "Join"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joyem

Mechanical
Feb 18, 2005
CN
I know if the CAD model is modeled with Master Modeler in I-deas, I can use "History Access" to modify the "Feature Parameters" as change "Add" into "Join" or anything else. However, if I imported a model from UG, I cannot access the history of the CAD model since it showes an Orphan when I use "History Access". So how can I Join the multi-volumes part from UG (I mean into a single volume)? Or, in another word, suppose the multi-volumes part is modeled with I-deas with "Add" and how can change the "Add" into "Join" (i.e. a single-volume part) without using History Access to modify the feature parameter? I have tried with "Cut" (with a larger block covering the multi-volumes model) or some other boolean operation but failed. Thank you very much!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

extract each volume into a separate part. then use join to join to one volume part or join-partition to join several parts to one multi-volume part for fea or other application use.

Thank you feadude for your reply!
I have tried, but when I use Extract in Master Modeler task, I cannot select "Volume" (with Filter option, I could only find surface, section, edge, etc.). I know if I select closed surfaces, they could form a volume automatically. However, I suspect it is really time and energy consuming, unless the model is simple enough. Can you tell me how you extact a VOLUME into a separate part? Thank you so much!

Thanks again feadude!
In fact, I have tried the way you said before. But I don't know why every time I choose the surfaces related to a volume for extract, only ONE surface of the volume, as a result, for me to extract. Or is it a bug of such function on my own PC? Well, thank you for your reply!

goto
properties
filter volume
pick only
and see if you actually have a proper volume.
If you do not, you might stitch to make volumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back