Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I create a function in NX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenevil

Automotive
Apr 2, 2013
US
Hi,

I created an expression that converts a desired dimension into the closest dimension our 3D printer can theoretically print. This is dependent on a user defined drop down attribute for normal (0.01") or fine resolution (0.007").

Printer_Resolution*round(Desired_Dim/Printer_Resolution)

So this works for one dimension. Can I create a function (or something) that can be used in sketches multiple times with different input values?

Thanks,
Scott

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm printing mating parts with very small interfacing features. Using 0.1mm clearance for the X and Y usually works fine but I have issues in the Z. I assumed it was because 0.1 is less than half a layer thickness and if the slicer software needed to round it to the nearest layer, my clearance could turn into an interference.

Kenevil --

In a word, yes. :)

I actually gave a presentation about how to create custom DesignLogic functions (those ones that show up in the Expressions dialog) at PLM World in 2008. The principles and techniques are 100% unchanged since then, so I've attached a copy of the presentation here.

Let me know if you have any questions, okay?

Taylor Anderson
NX Product Manager, Knowledge Reuse and NX Design
Product Engineering Software
Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software Inc.
(Phoenix, Arizona)

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=8be0ab69-5056-453a-a2b8-3db19d4a6fe8&file=Anderson_-_Design_-_Custom_DesignLogic_Functions.pdf
...and here are the example files referenced in the presentation.

Looks like the Forums only allow one attachment per post. :)

Thanks!

Taylor Anderson
NX Product Manager, Knowledge Reuse and NX Design
Product Engineering Software
Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software Inc.
(Phoenix, Arizona)

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=ca58ad2e-ff1e-4594-b249-f83d22380c03&file=Custom_DL_functions.zip
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back