Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I create a shell model with Solidworks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadCADder

Mechanical
May 13, 2003
US
I have a sheetmetal part I need to recreate for FEA that I want to do in another program. All I want to do is create the shell geometry and then apply a thickness to it in the FEA tool. Can I create something like that with Solidworks, or is there another program I should be using? I have access to AutoCAD too, if that would be a better program.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. Go to Help>SolidWorks Help Topics.
2. Click Search tab.
3. Type in "shell"

Then, you should get three titles to give you basic idea of "Shell".

Now, making Sheet Metal from Solid with Shell is common technique. This is just a brief steps.
1. Make a solid block.
2. "Shell" the block. (You can specify the thickness at this moment)
3. "Rip" edges.
4. "Insert Bends" (This process turns the block into Sheet Metal part)

I have operated CADAM, AutoCAD, I-DEAS and SolidWorks, but SolidWorks is the best program especially to create Sheet Metal. You would love it.

Well, to clarify, I am only trying to build a model for FEA analysis using Patran, so I need a shell surface of zero thickness. When I import the geometry I will apply a thickness condition. As far as I can tell Solidworks can't do the zero thickness shell.

You can make surface bodies using the various surface commands under "Insert --> Surface".

You can extract faces of a solid using "Insert --> Surface --> Offset".

To export a selected surface body (and not the entire model), select that body and then "File --> Save As" and select the file format of choice (IGES, STEP, parasolid, etc. During the save, you will beasked whether you wish to export the entire file or just the selected bodies.

[bat]I may make you feel, but I can't make you think.[bat]

I agree with the tick...

For Zero Thickness in SW... Use Surfaces...

You can Also Shift your model back and forth between solid and surface during design time...

Such as Removing a surface from a solid...

and knitting surfaces back into a solid...

These are often used when importing corupt files from other CAD programs, usually in Catia IGS format, to repair models...

But if you can find other uses for them, Put 'em to use...

Good Luck
---Josh S

Excellent! That's exactly what I was looking for. I guess I overlooked that menu when I was looking for a way to create this geometry. Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back