Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAN I CREATE A SOLID, SHELL IT & TURN IT INTO A 3 PIECE FLAT PATTERN?....?.OR DO IT ANOTHER WAY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbomist

Agricultural
Apr 9, 2014
Hi there.......thanks in advance for any help. I have searched the tutorials and 'help' but have had no luck in finding an answer. I'm using SW version 2006.

I want to create a 3 piece flat pattern for the part I've attached. I'm not familiar with everything SW is capable of but I have had success in the past with other flat patterns.

I looked into the 'split' command...wasn't successful. Then I thought I might be able to start with the middle section (including the flat section on the top) as a sheet metal part and then create the side parts on assembly....but a 3D sketch on isn't available when creating on assembly.
Our company is presently getting by with a hand laid out pattern ....but there is a lot of trimming and filling going on.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=804ce1f8-dd57-437a-9dfd-578afdbdbb58&file=from_solid.SLDPRT
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First thing I notice is that there are no dimensions in Sketch1.
What happened to the dimensions?

Second thing I noticed is that Sketch1 is not placed with obvious symmetry about the origin.

Third thing I noticed is a fillet in Sketch1 that appears at one "bend" but not on the "symmetrical" geometry.

One technique would be to add the missing fillets for the bends.

Delete the faces rather than Shell.

Thicken the resulting surface bodies into the individual sheets.

thanks for your answer rollupswx.
The sketch wasn't defined because I had imported it from AutoCAD to give the idea of what I was trying to do.
I did delete the faces(leaving the side piece)but the problem was I couldn't turn it into a sheet metal part or flatten it. I really need the flat pattern but I just don't know how to get there.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks

I have on occasion modeled a part as a thin 3D solid, and then, sort of, managed to convert it into sheet metal.

When I was able to do that at all, an otherwise identical part that started out as sheet metal performed more logically in its interactions with other parts, and SW crashed less.

I.e., I infer that there is some internal conversion mechanism from solid to sheet metal, but the parts are somewhere somehow fundamentally different.

... as are real castings and real sheet metal parts, so I don't see the difference within SW as a huge problem.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Turbomist,

I routinely model blocks, hollow them out, and convert them to sheet metal.

Don't let SolidWorks do the ripping. Do it yourself.

--
JHG

DRAWOH Thanks, could you expand on the manual ripping please. If you see the attachment of the basic shape of my part in my first post, you'll see I would be trying to rip along an edge that is in multiple planes. I've tried converting the edge to an entity to make a cut but that doesn't work. I've tried a 3D sketch....couldn't get that to work.
I need a bit more of a step by step explanation if that's possible.
Thanks in advance.

Turbomist said:
DRAWOH Thanks, could you expand on the manual ripping please. If you see the attachment of the basic shape of my part in my first post, you'll see I would be trying to rip along an edge that is in multiple planes. I've tried converting the edge to an entity to make a cut but that doesn't work. I've tried a 3D sketch....couldn't get that to work.
I need a bit more of a step by step explanation if that's possible.
Thanks in advance.

I do ripping as sketches and extruded cuts. Do you understand how your sheet metal part will be flattened out? Typically, I want this done my way.

Use the linked dimensions feature. Sheet metal creates the link "Thickness" to control all the wall thicknesses.

--
JHG

Thank you ROLLUPSWX for your in depth answer. I know how to define a sketch and I guess I can expect a telling off if I post an undefined sketch on a forum. My bad.
Unfortunately SW 2006 does not have the Convert-Solid capability. In version 2006 the way to convert to sheet metal is to rip and then insert bends.....this has worked for me on more regular shaped parts and gives a one piece pattern. If there is another way to slit the part into 3 parts, convert to sheet metal and unfold it, I haven't found it.
I think I might be SOL on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back