Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I get a one off mold in Southern California?

Status
Not open for further replies.

midvail

Computer
Dec 17, 2007
US
I need a plastic part to see if it will work in the application I need. If it works I would need more but if not I wouldnt. Does anyone know of a place in Southern California that does this? Thank you in advance.

-Marc

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not local to SoCal, but I've had success with FirstCut prototype ( If you must stay local, a decent machine shop can make a one-off machined prototype. It doesn't make much sense to build a mold if there is a chance the part will be a complete failure.

There are several methods of making prototypes.

The method depends on the factors you wish to test.

The only way to truely emulate all parameters is to make a prototype mould and produce mouldings in the exact same material.

To test type shape and fit, SLA is very good.

To get some idea of strength, machined parts from bar stock can work, but, extrusion grades of material tend to be tougher and maybe not quite so rigid and the machining process removes skin layers and leaves notches, both of which can have a significant effect on strength.

Sometimes a very simple mould in epoxy can be cast off a SLA or wood or whatever prototype. This can be inserted in a bolster and a few mouldings taken off. Once again, limitations on pack pressure and effective cooling rate can change physical properties a bit.

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Patprimmer is correct in that their are many ways to prototype a part, however if this part is eventually going to be injection molded, you will need to determine a method that will represent the production part as close as possible. I use SLA's only for parts where I may want to see detail and use for marketing purposes. SLS is better suited for limited materials for the purpose of testing product function. Machining may be the least expensive depending on size and once again the end use, as you will not get an exact match to a molded part. Maybe your volumes are low and machining may be the method of manufacturing the production parts? You also can Google prototype molded parts and there are several companies that will build you aluminum tooling that will mold a part exactly like the production part and usually within a short lead time depending once again on what the design is.

Regards,

mtpi.us

midvail:

Depending on the size and complexity of your part, you can have an injection mold built within 4-6 weeks. I know a place in Southern Cal that would be happy to accomodate you. It's a company I used to be with before I got into consulting. By the way, I do not charge anything for referrals. So, feel free to contact me for more info.[smile]

Eugene Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back