Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I get chemical engineering job with a master's degree but no bachelor's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdalcin

Chemical
Aug 16, 2015
US
I am a nontraditional applicant with a bachelor's degree in neuroscience. I am almost finished a master's degree in chemical engineering, but many jobs that I wish to apply to have a "bachelor's of engineering" as a requirement. And a master's as only a "preference." Would these companies still be willing to consider me? If I have a master's in the field, but no bachelor's, do I fulfill the bachelor's requirement or am I automatically kicked out of the applicant pool?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There may be some issues in whatever coursework you might have missed, like O-chem and thermo? Unless, you took them as part of your master's program

TTFN
faq731-376
Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

No, I actually finished all those prerequisites. 3 semesters of o-chem, 2 of thermo, 2 of fluid, etc... and am now taking more advance courses such as finite element analysis. Should I be ok then?

I would imagine the vast majority of job postings are written with minimums in mind... Bachelor's degrees, for example. They would "prefer" applicants have advanced degrees as the position likely requires advanced skills. But I have a hard time thinking an interviewer would even recognize you didn't have a Bachelor's after seeing the Master's listed, let alone dismiss you from the candidate pool because of it.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

The folks who place employment ads requiring candidates to have bachelors of engineering may want to join in on this discussion. Please include a link with your resume/cover letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back