Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I make a Solidworks part to 3d DXF? Want to take it into RISA. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajman

Structural
May 15, 2005
US
Are there aftermarket or free conversion/translation software/programs or even a process in Solidworks (I have 2005) to convert my Solidworks part files into DXF files? My end goal is to evaluate these in RISA and it only likes DXF and STAAD. Any ideas? Sorry I'm new to Solidworks like 2 weeks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can use the Task Scheduler (if it is included in your SW package) to convert files "en masse" or do a Save-as > dxf for individual conversions.

[cheers]
Making the best use of this Forum. faq559-716
How to get answers to your SW questions. faq559-1091
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of. faq559-520

Doh!!! sorry ...ignore that, my brain didn't hear what my eyes read. I was thinking drawings.
It's Monday & I need more coffee. [morning]

[cheers]
Making the best use of this Forum. faq559-716
How to get answers to your SW questions. faq559-1091
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of. faq559-520

No problem, but yes I need to be able to convert a Solidworks part into a 3D dxf file for RISA to analyse. I already know i can get 2d dXF out of solidworks by going through the drawing mode. Thanks anyway.

I do not know of a way in SW, except tp save as another file and import into some other CAD software.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP2.0 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site
FAQ371-376
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-1091
FAQ559-716

You cannot export a SW model out as a DXF. As for opening a DXF file into a part is possible, but with there being Solid data there, I couldn't be for sure without a sample file and even if had one you can still test this yourself. Just do the same file/open process and pick DXF, When you get the import option pick part instead of drawing.

If you don't get any data then you have your answer.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376
faq559-716 - SW Fora Users

Yes you can export to DXF, but not direct though.
Export as Acis and reimport it in DWG Editor. There you can export to 3D DXF. If you only want curves you wont be able to export then in ACIS since DWG Editor don't support them, but you can extract curves from face edges.

Daniel Pegas

Thank you Solidmold,

But when I save my solidworks part in acis and open dwg editor nothing shows up on the screen. My sketch part is just the lines of a box truss. is there anything more specific i need to do in the process to make this work? thanks in advance

Yes, IGES is great this actually works directly and I don't have to go through DWG Editor, I took the IGES model to Rhino and then went to 3D DXF. BUT, if I didn't have Rhino, I woulnd't have been able to do this? Because I can't import an IGES into DWG Editor. Is there a way to make this a Solidworks specific solution through DWG EDitor, will it read IGES? Thanks again to all.

Thanks Sbaugh and all I finally came to a solution thanks to your help. Best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back