Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I Password Protect Locked Layers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

terb

Mechanical
Jan 29, 2002
US
I have been wondering if there is a way to put a password protection on layers that I lock, freeze or etc. If not a password, I am looking for a way I could send an electronic drawing to a client to prevent any changes to my drawing.

Please advise.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Create and send your customer a PDF file of the drawing.
They will be able to look at and print the drawing but not modify it. If you don't have a PDF writer already, do a search with GOOGLE for PDF WRITER ansd I believe you will find some shareware versions or you could purchase Adobe Acrobat. Also Adobe Photodeluxe (about $45) has a limited
PDF writer included that you could use. Steve Smith
Product Engineer
Staco Energy Products Co.

You could save the file to DWF, this would allow the recipient to view, plot, and manipulate layers, but not allow changes to the drawing directly.

I agree with Striker and do this all the time. AutoCAD 2000 and 2002 have excellent export abilities that include html. You'll have to export to *.dwf file for release 14 though.(No html, but the browser will still open it.)

The *.dwf format can't be modified, but you can save it to an DWG format back, so its not a safe way to send it out if you want a read-only mode dwg

I thought .dwf was a secure way to go. Locksmith, after reading your post I tried to save a file that I had created in dwf back to a dwg format. I saved it to a different directory then opend the dwf file. I right clicked the drawing and did a saveas dwg format, I got the message source file not found Aborting transfer. So I am curious how you accomplished this (with your .dwf file being in a different directory than the original .dwg file).
Just Curious.

Try for an add in that will allow locking layers or complete drawings.

The recipient must install the runtime version to open the file. If they have the password they can open the file for editing.

Looks not bad but is $600 US for full copy.
Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

If you don't like the above try this from the autodesk knowledge base. Should work for 2000,2000i and 2002.

Issue
You want to insert a block so it is unable to be exploded, making it impossible for users to edit the individual objects in the block.

Solution
You can use the MINSERT command to make a block that cannot be exploded. The MINSERT command is typically used to insert multiple instances of a block in a rectangular array. Blocks inserted using MINSERT cannot be exploded. The MINSERT command is only available from the command line.
Note: Before trying the following procedure, make a copy of the drawing you want to protect.
1. Start a new drawing from scratch.
2. Enter MINSERT on the command line.
3. When prompted for the block name, enter the drive letter, the full path, and the name of the drawing you want to protect.
Example:
MINSERT Enter block name or [?]: D:\AutoCAD\SAMPLE\campus.dwg
4. Enter 0,0 for the Insertion point.
5. Use an X and Y scale factor of 1.
6. Specify a rotation angle of 0.
7. When prompted, specify the number of rows and the number of columns to be greater than. If you specify only one row or column, this command is treated as an INSERT command and a user will be able to explode the block.
Example:
Enter number of rows (---) <1>: 2
Enter number of columns (|||) <1>: 2
8. Specify the distance between rows to be 0 units.
Example:
Enter distance between rows or specify unit cell (---): 0
The block will be inserted into the current drawing. You can erase the inserted block, but you cannot explode it.
Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

What is bad with Minsert is that once you inserted it in, sure you cant explode it, but just indert back the block wich is in the drawing already, then you delete de minsert block.. and the new one you just inserted can be exploded.

Kinda useless i think

do a search on the net for this program w2pdf171.exe. It's free and it sets up a plotter or printer configuration that you can plot to just like a plotter and it will create a PDF file. Works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back