Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can I safley delete .ac$ .bak .tmp files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'll be short and brief, my account at school is full of CAD/CAM files and I only have 6.3 MB left of space, so I've been deleting files left and right and have found some strange ones to me. I have 23 .ac$ files that are listed as AutoCAD Temporary Files, thier sizes range from 0KB to 3,000KB, I also have 16 .bak files that range from 800KB to 11,000KB, the only describtion is BAK File. I have a couple .TMP files that take up a little space, but can I delete 'em? ANY AND ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED!!! Thank You

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, you can delete these files. Make sure that AutoCAD is not running. NOTE: The .bak files are backups of the drawing files. For example, let's say you have a drawing (drawing1.dwg). If you open it, make changes, and save the drawing, AutoCAD will create a file called drawing1.bak. This is the drawing before your last change. Sometimes these are nice to hang on to if you need to go back one revision. DimensionalSolutions@Core.com
While I welcome e-mail messages, please post all thread activity in these forums for the benefit of all members.

One Addition to the response from DSI.
The .BAK, .AC$ and .TMP files will be re-created for each session of AutoCAD. If drive
space is an issue, consider using WinZip or some other means of file compression
for the .DWG files that you aren't currently using.

Also, you my want to go into each drawing and type
&quot;purge&quot; <enter> a <enter><enter><enter>
and this will bring up unused drawing entities that reside in the drawing that can be deleted and could reduce the size of the drawing file. Repeat this process until it can no longer find anything to purge then save the drawing and go onto the next drawing.

Steve Smith
Product Engineer
Staco Energy Products Co.

eholmes,,

If he has 26 AC$ files on the drive, they are probably old files left on the drive from ACAD dumps, I believe there should only be one AC$ temp file open during editing.

Sterling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back