can I save Measure Inertia box 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackk

Mechanical
Nov 22, 2002
US
Question about V5 Measure:

When I measure the mass properties of a part, CATIA displays a 3D box around the part. Is there anyway to save that box?

I couldn't find anything in the documentation.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, but there are only options to save the axis and/or center of gravity. There is no option to save the boundary box.

KooKoo said:
Can't save the box but you should be able to re-create it from the Surface Machining Toolbar in GSD.

Hmmm... perhaps you could shed some light on this elusive feature?

I cannot find any such thing in GSD.

Check out CATBlog!

YES!

The ROUGH STOCK tool inside the Surface Machining toolbar should do the trick. Looks like it creates a transparent JOIN from several FILL surfaces.

Thanks KooKoo! (I'm giving you a star for this one!)

Actually I have to give the star to itsmyjob, he's the one who showed it to me. He even showed me how to use the Rough Stock tool when the Axis System is not "oriented" correctly.

Hello Solid7,

I think you may need to have one of the NC manufacturing licences selected to be able to access the Surface Machining Tools toolbar. If you have access to one or more of these licences (e.g. 3-axis machining or prismatic machining) simply enter GSD, go to View + Toolbars and switch it on. When I checked the documentation, the commands were listed under the NC manufacturing pages, but the toolbar appears in GSD for some reason.

Mmmm.... Not sure about your suggestion in CATBlog. I've no objection to helping out anyone with a specific problem regarding scripting in Catia V5, but a lot of scripting is very specific to a company's business processes - I don't think any boss would be too happy for his designers / developers to simply fire their work out on to the net for anyone to have a look at.

"Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?"
"Yes, Brain, but isn't that dangerous?"

You have definitely read too much into the directive. I'm not asking for anyone to put anything *proprietary* on the website. However, we, as Catia V5 users, are a "band of fellows." Most of use are not high level programmers, and such have, and always will have, their distinguished place. It is a shame, in certain instances, that we have to ask a high level programmer, to program a low level task, and then we have to put together a business case, justify our position, spend hours on paperwork, and then IF we get approved, we have to wait 6 months for something that was helpful yesterday!

The point is - for those of use who develop scripts for ourselves, to share with others, thus ensuring that the script is free to evolve and be easily found from job to job. Or, just to spark an "open source" type movement. We can free up burden on programmers, get tasks automated quicker, and even help other people to learn in the process. Most companies don't put much emphasis on the automation workbench, and most "management" types don't understand, therefore, they tend to not see any value in it.

It's a shame that more people don't know how to use scripting, and that companies don't place more emphasis on it. I don't like the idea of sharing, and learning. If we have a user resource that's "of the user, for the user, and by the user," we'll go a long ways towards changing attitudes, and turning out better quality Catia users.

Check out CATBlog!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back