Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I update a drawing once its been moved? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkdragon

Mechanical
May 22, 2003
Say I made a drawing "control1" and put it in a folder named "one". I create a draft of "control1", completly deminsion it, save and close it. Later I move "control1" to a folder named "five". Now when I open the dft file i created SE tells me it cannot find "control1" obviously because I have moved it. Is there a way to tell SE to use "control1" and give it a path to it's new location, with out have to redo the draft?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Use Revision Manager (Insight Connect).

Open the draft file in revision manager. There should be a red line under the listing for the draft file that has the filename and path of the original location for control1. Right click on that red line and select REPLACE. Browse to the new location of control one and click ok. Save.

You should always use RevMan to move, copy, and rename files. It is not very user friendly, but getting better. Lots of practice helps also.

--Scott

Other way to do it:

Open the drawing (that's the moment you normally see the 'link' has gone), click Edit, en than Link. You can change the linkt to the propper .PRT-file and update.

The same is handy for making a number of drawings from simmular parts, where you change the part (something like axle-length) a little and save a new part. Making one drawing, dimensioning it, and then changing the linkt to the other parts, after each time saving the drawing under the right name, is a quick way to get a lot of simular drawings without much work!

Regards,

Pekelder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back