Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I use 3d image to create 2d in AutoCad 2000 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearisle

Mechanical
Jun 2, 2004
US
I usually develop objects in 3D. I then need to print 2D images. I usually end up tracing over the lines in a 3D object to get a 2D image so that I can control hidden lines and dimension lines, etc. Also, Dimension lines get shifted to a different plane than the 2D image??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bearisle,

Once a solid model has been constructed, it is easy to create a multiview layout using the SOLVIEW command. This command allows you to crate a layout containing orthographic, section, and auxiliary views. The SOLDRAW command can then be used to complete profile and section views. SOLDRAW must be used after SOLVIEW. The SOLPROF command can be used to create a profile of the solid in the current view. Note that you can't use these command if you use the layout wizard. It must be some type of bug in Autocad. Hope this helps - John

CADSTUDENT-
Good post. Its not really a bug in the layout wizard, although the natural application of that approach to creating the next sheet in a layout would seem to include that wizard. Good catch though, as the commands SOLDRAW & SOLVIEW _are_ the ones BEARISLE needs.

BEARISLE-
Don't worry about using the "Layout Wizard" to set up your views. Bypass the wizard entirely.

10 EASY STEPS:

1. Create your model in "Model Space" using any technique that results in the accurate component or assembly you need. Use only SOLIDS constructions.
2. Go to the SOLIDS toolbar, and select the SOLVIEW command.
* Yes you can enter it from the keyboard if you don't have the toolbar loaded, but load the toolbar if possible.
3. Start with the UCS option of the command, until you gain experience, as you'll be starting with a recognizable orientation to start from. With experience, you can branch out, but this will get you started.
3a: use "W"orld to begin with... , and accept "1" as the default scale. No matter what you get onscreen, keep going.
4 Pick a spot in the upper right 1/4 of your area. Then pick a corner of a _rectangle_ that goes around this picked point.
5. Give the view a MEANINGFUL name.
6. KEEP GOING! Create 2 more viewports using the steps above, before you end the command.
7. Return or Cancel to end the command.
* Why the 2 extra viewports? Simple- you can move these viewports into any position, re-size them, and re-adjust them any way you wish, including erasing one if its no longer needed.
8. Go to ANY ONE OF THE 3 VIEWPORTS and click ONCE. You are in MODEL SPACE in THAT viewport! Click back outside it, once, and you're back on the P-Space sheet! Now Zoom-W closely around but outside the viewport.
9. Click back inside. Zoom - Extents, then use any command to get the view of your part you want. Click back outside the viewport.
10. Click on the SOLDRAW command from the toolbar, and pick the VIEWPORT. What you will get is a GENUINE 2D depiction of your 3D part or component!

10 EASY STEPS!

Yes there's always more to it, but this WILL get you started. You can take it from here. Experiment-
* click the square defining the viewport, change ITS color to a shade of grey, and click it to not print. Now it inobtrusive, still visible, and doesn't come out on the plot!
* Try setting up 3 viewports- a front, top, and right, with a 4th for an iso ISO view. Insert a T-Block on the P-Space. Do the previous hint. Plot the results and amaze your firends!
* Click into any view, CTRL-C the line-work, and insert it as a 2-D detail in any 2-D drawing, even the ISO-View!
* Layers and line-types work in wiewports! They can even be different from viewport to viewport!

I can go into alot more detail, but this should get you started. More questions? I'll check back from time to time.
Others- Post some interest here, and I'llhelp out. Its AMAZING how much ACAD-3D has never been explored by those who would detract in order to promote or sell other systems as an alternative to the power we have at our fingertips each day!

Good luck-
C. Fee

cfee / cadstudent,
I am relatively new to CAD in general. Thanks for the help.

cfee,
It sounds like you know what I need to accomplish. I attempted to follow your instructions, but got lost after step 3A.
To start with, I create a solid object by many different methods (usually involves cutting away or adding to an initial solid using the subtract or union command).
Here is my situation:
If I create a solid sphere and want to print it in 2D, it is very simple. Just print...It will appear as circle as it should.

If I creat a solid cylinder and want a 2d print, it is easy. Just print...It will appear as a rectangle (the center axis also shows and this is not always desired, but I cannot delete it) If the center axis shows and I do not want it, I just trace out a rectangle of the same dimensions and use it for my view.

If I create a solid "pipe" (cylinder with an inside diameter bored out) and want a 2D print, the center axis line show as well as the 2 inside diameter lines. I usually do not want the center axis visible. I usually want the inside diameter lines visible, but want to make them hidden (dashed). I do not know how to do this. I cannot select the center axis and delete as it selects the whole object. I end up drawing a rectangle in 2D to represent the outside dimension and 2 lines (dashed)to represent the inside diameters.

Basically I always start by creating my 3D object. I do this in no time. Everything looks perfect. I can rotate it around and view all angles. Then it comes time to lay it out 2D to make fab print w/dimensions. I have tried many ways without success to use my 3D in my fab print. That is when I "trace" the outlines and interal hidden lines that I want so that I can dimension it.

I know there has to be a way to select the view you want and be able to convert to 2D so that I can explode and select only certain components (ex. select the center axis line and delete)

Also, when I dimension something, why do the dimension lines always end up on a different plane when you rotate image in space?

My drawings consist of many steps:
1) Create in 3D (simple)
2) create 2D top view (use 3D view only as guideline to trace desired top view lines in 2D) dimension and move dimension lines to same plane as 2D top view (this gives me the top view w/dimensions in true 2D on 1 plane.
3) repeat step 2 for front and right side views.
4) use solid object as isometric view (simple)

I really appreciate any further assistance in reducing my "surely uneccesary" extra steps.

To have free editing control of the views. After you have followed cfee steps above, go back to model space switch to one of the isometric views on the view toolbar. You will notice the 2d views you have created using "soldraw". Use the "3drotate" command to rotate all the 2d views to one of the main views, such as the top or front view. From there set all the hidden lines to a hidden layer. and set all the solid lines to the 0 layer, or user created layer.

Thanks to all who replied. I messed around enough to get accomplished what I need. I did get the 2D views I needed. I see that the process cfee described automatically sets up 3 layers for the named view (1 for hidden, 1 for visible and I assume the other is for dimensions if you choose to add???). I agree with cfee's last statement. I ran into many brick walls while attempted to get the info you guys have supplied on numerous occasions from various CAD support places and was told "not possible with that program"
Thanks again!

Another question has come up:
I have created a 3d solid and then created all of the 2d viewports (top-front-right side) as described above. Everything is perfect. Now I find out a hole size needs to be changed in the solid. I can easily change it in the solid. Do I need to start over with new viewports for all of the 2d views? I hope not, but...If so, how do I delete the layers that were auto-created when 2d viewports were initialized. I tried to select them and delete them and it would not allow.

Just go to model space and use the view toolbar to go to the view the 2d circle is on and change the diameter from there. As for the layers first create a hidden layer, then put all of the hidden lines on the hidden layer. After that put all of the solid lines on the zero layer or a user specified layer.

What I would like to do is use my existing drawing as a template for future drawings. I would use all of the existing viewports. I would go to the model space tab and delete all of the objects and start over with a new solid object. my hope was that I could position the new object in the same place as the deleted one and it would show the same views as the previous print..I realize I would have to change dimensions, etc. I do many drawings that are similar and would like to be able to have a template that I can re-use. I have each viewport labeled in paper space on my layout as well as the desired title block format. When I use the solview command to generate the various viewports, I name them top, front and right. 3 layers are generated for each named view (ie. top-vis, top-hid, top-dim). If I attempt to re-use my "template for the next drawing, I delete the objects. I then attempt to delete the layers so that I will not get errors when I regenerate for the new drawing. It will not let me delete these layers.

If you have "AutoCad Express Tools", type in "laydel on the command line. Or go up to the top of the screen click on the express menu go to layer and at the bottom of the screen go to layer delete. Then type in the layers you are trying to delete.

Don't you find that creating a 2D drawing from a very large 3D model (wether it be flatten, soldraw, DXB etc) never seems to work 100%? It would be nice if acad could replace curved facets with true arcs/ellipses rather than lots of small lines that never seem to truly connect!

I'm back....I have been using the steps that I learned and have new questions..
To start - I have a solid in a viewport on the layout tab.
I select setup view(solview). I select UCS, WORLD and scale = 1(default)for options.
I am then asked for view center. I click anywhere, doesn't seem to matter? I am then asked same question followed with <specify viewport> I just hit enter? I then am asked to select the corners of the new viewport(which I do). I enter a name and I am done.
I seem to have problems dimensioning in my top view (I can select the corners of the object and try to pull a dimension, but it appears to try to place the dimensions on another view - I see a side view of the dimension lines and need to rotate to read?). Also, I would like to use ortho and section views, but have trouble.

To add to last comments:
When I am having trouble dimensioning my top view, I am in my layout taab and have the viewport selected and in Model mode. I can usually dimension this way with no problem. As I steted before, it appears as if the dimension is tied to a different view. However, If I go to model tab and attempt to dimension the same object, it works fine and even shows up fine in top viewport of layout tab????

If you are in ACAD 2000 see if you can come up with a copy of Cimlogic "Toolbox Pro" MakeIt 2D. They are out of business now but it works great.
As a new option check out "Autosolids" they have a similar function for taking 3D solids and making static 2D views. Either one of these programs will make your 2D drawing views in seconds. Speaking as a satisfied user I wish ACAD would put in this type feature makes life "simple & fast"

Good hunting

DO __NOT__ MESS AROUND WITH THE MODEL IN MODEL SPACE AFTER YOU HAVE CREATED SOLVIEW VIEWS in your p-space "drawing".
You CAN, but you'll have to manage layers, etc, and the settings are global AS THEY SHOULD BE:

INSTEAD-

1. DIMENSION IN PAPERSPACE. (More on this later.)
-or-
1a. Dimension in each viewport.
1a-1. Double-click in the viewport you want to dimension in. While inside _THAT_ v-port, CREATE A NEW LAYER. Keep layer names 1. Meaningful (layer "rod-1" _WON'T_ do.) and 2. __SHORT__ . I use a convention like "DIMS_TOP-VIEW" (no spaces, please), "DIMS_FRONT-VIEW", ETC.
1a-2. Open the LAYERS dialog box by your favorite method. Assign "DIMS_TOP-VIEW" a distinctive color. I use shades of Green, but NOT basic color #3. (If for instance, you use yellow, shades of color "40" are useful) There are enough shades available of any color, that you can use shades for 3 or 4 dims layers in different viewports and tell at a glance what's going on in each.
1a-3. Repeat in each viewport.
1a-4. Go to EACH vport, open layers dialog, and freeze OTHER vport layer names in this vport.

Here's the point:

You have unique layers control in each viewport, and can freeze the layers you create for this viewport in all other vports. You do it ALL from the SAME Layers dialog box, and once you've mastered ACAD's many selection modes, including saving types of selections (!), this becomes even easier ! It's VERY doable, even without mastering multiple saved selections, just try to keep your layer names short, and the overall layers list as short and managable as possible.

I'll add to this thread, so keep checking back.

DO __NOT__ MESS AROUND WITH THE MODEL IN MODEL SPACE AFTER YOU HAVE CREATED SOLVIEW VIEWS
........ From previous post......

Now that you're better with viewports (vports), EDIT the MODEL (3D MODEL) _This_ way:

1. Create another tab.
2. Put ONE viewport on it.
3. Make the viewport BIG, say just within the edges of the sheet representation .
*** YOU WILL __NEVER__ Soldraw this viewport. ***
4. Go into that vport (double-click inside the vport) and zoom extents on the model. Return later, and Zoom any way you want, including rotary zooms with shade, etc., and make all your edits to the model here. For those of you comfortable with x-ref'ing, OPEN the part in its own window... you get the idea.
4a. If you DO edit your model, simply return to the DRAWING tab(s) and re-soldraw each affected vport. Automate this process using saved selection groups or not, as you prefer.
5. Inside THIS vport, Freeze all other layers except the layer the model is on. If your "model" is an assembly of multiple components, freeze ALL layers, thawing only the various components' layers.
6. Rename the page tab "MODEL" or some such.
7. ALWAYS return to this tab whenever you want to EDIT your model. Don't shift to model space. You DON'T want to have to deal with the soldraw line-work you'll find there. Its absent in the model vport on the model tab (you just created)
You're done.
A brief note-
Myths that an ACAD model isn't "Editable" are just that- myths propagated by those who'd like to "upgrade" your CAD software system to their particular favorite. There are VALID reasons to upgrade. When THEY apply, UPGRADE. Not before.
Also- Don't mess around with the linework from soldraws, you find in model space, and DON'T mess with "Rotating" line-work in model space to some "normal" viewing or working plane (UCS). Pretend instead that you're doing REAL 3D-Modeling, and use the tools. They're extreemely powerful, and amazingly well behaved.
If you want line-work from a view you've created, enter that vport (including the "ISO" view vport that you "soldraw"ed the 3D view in) and CTRL-C the linework there. You can CTRL-V the linework into a 2D plane in any other target drawing, including into pspace, as the line-work you picked up is 2D (even the iso soldraw view), all coodinates: Z=0. I prefer w-blocking the line-work out to a temporary hold drawing, because I almost always want to add to it before inserting it elsewhere, but that's my preference.

Good luck !

Oh by the way- I'm not soliciting. I just wanted to mention that I happen to be between assignments right now, and the Houston market is still pretty soft. Just thought I'd mention it. If I'm out of line, please correct me, and please accept my apologies.
Thanks.

on July 2 a question came up that I'm not sure was answered and I'd like to "re-ask" it.
"
Do I need to start over with new viewports for all of the 2d views? I hope not, but...If so, how do I delete the layers that were auto-created when 2d viewports were initialized. I tried to select them and delete them and it would not allow."

Can the -hid, -dim, -vis layers, created with the solview/soldraw process somehow be deleted? I'm using AutoCad 2002 and sometimes would like to "re-do" a soldraw layer because of a minor change in the model but when soldraw asks for a "name" it sees it out there already, hence I need to select a slightly different name and end up with umpteen layers that are now not used and don't seem to be able to get rid of. AutoCad claims it cannot delete the layer for 3 or 4 different reasons and I end up with a bevy of layers that I'm sure take up space and causes confusion for anyone looking thru the layer manager. Sorry if this question has been asked and answered before.. I am just now looking for the answer and it seems that this forum might be the place to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back