Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can i use HDPE pipes instead of carbon steel pipes for firefighting ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mostafaabdelazim

Mechanical
Jan 26, 2015
EG
The problem is that we have a firefighting network constructed of GRE pipes under ground and carbon steel pipes for above ground, the main problem happened in a 6" #150 riser which feeds the sprinkles the pipe started leaking water on the ground due to pin holes this riser has been in service for 15 years , now my manager is asking me to study the ability of replacing the carbon steel pipe with a HDPE pipe but i searched the NFPA (13 & 24) for above ground pipes but nothing is mentioned about using HDPE above ground, so can any one help me ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It cannot be used. Our piping must have a listing for use in fire protection services.

If you have pin holes, you need to have someone come in and test for MIC or other corrosion issues. An approved piping type can then be selected.

R/
Matt

Another choice to consider for a metallic pipe product with corrosion-resistant properties would be ductile iron, available in 4"-64" diameters and flanged/grooved joints. In addition to its high carbon content and protective mill scale layer, all fabricated ductile iron pipe is made with a minimum Class 53 pipe, so the pipe wall thickness will likely exceed that for similarly-sized carbon steel piping. Plus for pumping flow concerns, ductile iron pipe has a greater-than-nominal inside diameters - superior to equivalent-sized carbon steel piping with true-to-diameter ODs.

Thanks very much dear guys I found that for sizes more than 4" it will need a special coating which is very costy and the max temp the pipe will stand is about 120 degree Celsius which is not high enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back